"~Santa Monica~" Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Monica by Yaqui
Santa Monica Travel Guide: 459 reviews and 1,066 photos
Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo led the first European expedition to explore what is now the west coast of the United States. Cabrillo departed from the port of Navidad, Mexico, on June 27, 1542. What is Santa Monica Bay, he dropped anchor here while exploring the west coast along California. Franciscan Father Juan Crespi while traveling with the Gaspar de Portola’s expedition party called this area Santa Monica “Who wept for her wayward son due to the natural springs. Once free from Spanish rule in 1828, this area gets divided into three land grants entitled Rancho San Vicente y Santa Monica, Rancho Boca de Santa Monica and Rancho La Ballona. By 1887 8.3 square miles gets incorporated as the city of Santa Monica. In 1893 it sees it first wharf making it a major port for shipping. By the roaring twenties it becomes a hot spot for celebrity realty and rest is continuing history.
Been coming since I could drive myself. We use to ride our motorcycles down here all the time. It has been at least ten years since we were here last. What a change. Not sure if I like the amusement park, but I always loved the historic carousel and the building that houses it. I will admit we did not like to swim here, because the reseviors from LA would dump right into the ocean and it was always toxic. It is nice to see they built a water treatment plant so the water now can be treated...Amen.
Architect was Harbin F. Hunter, this Art Deco style commercial building is crafted of Roman brick, and incorporates... more travel advice
Located at the entrance of pier is located a box you can deposit your cigarettes butts. Smoking is not permitted on the... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Santa Monica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "~Santa Monica~"
- "I Leave My Heart in Santa Monica"
- "AFTERNOON & EVENING AT SANTA MONICA PIER."
- "Santa Monica"
- "BEAUTY AND THE BEACH"
- "Third Street Promenade"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santa Monica
- Hotels in Santa Monica
- Transportation in Santa Monica
- Nightlife in Santa Monica
- Restaurants in Santa Monica
- Shopping in Santa Monica
- Warnings and Dangers in Santa Monica
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santa Monica
- 40 Reviews
- 156 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (109)
Have you been to Santa Monica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santa Monica
Photos in Santa MonicaSee All Photos (156)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 290 reviews, 1091 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 97 reviews, 461 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 111 reviews, 374 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos