"Santa Barbara" Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Barbara by Yaqui

Santa Barbara Travel Guide: 656 reviews and 1,213 photos

Santa Barbara Mascot~

Went on a road trip with my best friend and we stayed at her lovely sisters cottage. Where she lives is a hidden treasure. We didn't explore Santa Barbara as much because of those pesky time constraints, but what we explored was fun! I hope you like the updates. We had a awesome time.

Over ten thousand years ago the Chumash home stretched as far as from Malibu to San Luis Obispo. They number to almost 20,000 with as many as 150 independent villages that spoke different dialects that varied from tribe to tribe. Yet, they all shared the common home, the pacific coast line of California. They were a very adaptable culture who learned to survive on the land and catch their food in the sometimes turmoil of the ocean. They were expert craftsmen when it came to building the tomol, their canoes that were only 2,000 years young. They were expert basket weavers too. Yet, like most Native people in California, they became the first residence of the Spanish Missions who didn’t always bring prosperity to these people. Thank goodness their ancestors survived thankfully.

Santa Barbara started unofficially when the Spanish Missionaries arrived around the 1500’s and finally settled around 1780’s. Sebastian Viscaino gave this area her name Saint Barbara a virgin martyr on Dec 4, 1602 when he sailed into the Channel of Santa Barbara. The land exchanged hands from being part of Mexico to when gold was discovered thus become part of the US in 1850’s. Since then, Santa Barbara has been a haven for artist, health seekers, and tourist. It’s known to be very trendy, upscale and expensive neck of the Californian woods.

Lovely Historical State Street

Enjoyed strolling the historical state street. Lots of things to see and do. A lot of trendy sidewalk restaurants and loads of shopping too. At night this place is hopping with locals, tourist, and college students. I want to say.."Get to bed now or go study!".....LOL!

• Pros:Lovely community and lots to do and see here.
  • Cons:Yikes, talk about exspensive.
  • In a nutshell:Yet, its still a place to see, just watch your budget.
  • Last visit to Santa Barbara: Dec 2010
  • Intro Updated Nov 27, 2011

• akkipaa's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Wow, I love that pelican photo, and again your pages keep me dreaming, one day I will be back there :).

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Wow what a spectacular photo of the mascot.We were in Sata Barbara briefly on our "Wild West" Tour as we headed back to San Fran. Did not see all the wonders you mention of course.
    Marg

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2012 at 2:29 PM

I enjoyed your page Dee. I like the boats, water pier and especially the water taxi system.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Enticing glimpses of Santa Barbara. I used to know some people who lived there and loved it, but I’ve never been there myself.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Sure would love to visit all these beautiful places! Santa Barbara has a reputation for its charm and beauty, and you sure highlighted both. Great restaurant tips. Your warning tip was heartwarming.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2011 at 6:20 AM

Hello, Dee!~ What a gorgeous place to explore....Thanks for your beautiful description!~

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2010 at 11:02 AM

now I see this place not just a great beach spot, thanks.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2009 at 7:51 PM

I was going to comment about having Moreton Bay figs in Queensland, then I noted that the seed did come from Aust.! They grow colossal! The camera.. and I have had the same happen to me, and with the same result! Great page!

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2009 at 3:53 AM

Excellent Santa Barbara travel page with wonderful travel tips. The Historic Park, Museum of Art and Chase Palm Park indeed sound interesting to visit and explore. The fountain at the Mission certainly looks amazing. ~ho & pang

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Santa Barbara would be the dream vacation for me :) I love the Spanish missions.

Yaqui Visits Here Frequently!

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Badges & Stats in Santa Barbara

Have you been to Santa Barbara?

Latest Activity in Santa Barbara