"Santa Ana" Santa Ana by Yaqui
Santa Ana Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 121 photos
Originally named Saint Anne by Don Gaspar’de Portola expedition 1769, it was given to Jose Antonio Yorba and his cousin as a Spanish land grant. The Yorba family returned and who were the first settlement in this vast area. Rancho Santiago de Santa Ana raised cattle and farmed for almost 80 years until ownership ended up into the US hands around 1846 to the Ross family who bought 650 acres. It was not until William H. Spurgeon who rode thru the vast landscape covered in wild mustard plants that he knew this is where he wanted to create a new home in 1869. He bought 74 acres from the Ross family and began his planning of a new city he named Santa Ana. He was the first postmaster in 1870 and the first mayor in 1886. He even established many roads leading from Anaheim so the Wells Fargo could bring in passengers and mail as well with establishing a water supply due to the natural wells. He remained active until his death in 1915 at the age of 88. Now Santa Ana is the center or Orange County government and considered a major city in the state of California.
The land that time forgot?! This wonderful center has more than 100 hands-on exhibits, live science exhibits you can participate in and so much more. There are two floors, plus a courtyard that has the Dino Quest with lots more to see and do. My youngest was absolutely enthralled with the Dino quest and wanted to see everything. He was smiling from ear to ear. A great place!
We must have explore every inch of the center and we all had a great time. It was fun watching the boys get so involved in all the exhibits. Mom and Dad had a great time too, but was worn out by the time we left:-). A great place to brings kids of all ages!
The main reason for coming to Santa Ana was to experience and see the Terra Cotta Warriors exhibit at the Bowers Museum. As a kid, we had a subscription of National Geographic magazine. In one of those issues back in 1974 or 75, they had discovered a whole army of warriors, chariots, horses, officials, acrobats, strongmen, and musicians. They have discovered over a 1,000 and estimate in three of the pits will contain over 7,000 soldiers, 130 chariots with 520 horses and 150 cavalry horses and more to be discovered. I must have worn out that issue because I was so fascinated by it and still am.
- Pros:Lovely city, loads of history!
- Cons:Lots of gang activity here, so sightsee during the day!
- In a nutshell:Still a lovely city rich in history and culture to see!
This plaza left no stone unturned in making sure Orange County recognizes all its veterans and public service personnel.... more travel advice
This is another Memorial to our veterans of WWI, WWII, Koren, and Vietnam. It is located in the plaza next to the Hall... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Santa Ana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Santa Ana"
- "Santa Ana the city of my childhood in the O.C."
- "See the Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana"
- "Santa Ana- That Quiet and Surprising Artist!"
- "Santa Ana - seat of Orange County"
- "baker00's new Santa Ana Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santa Ana
- Hotels in Santa Ana
- Transportation in Santa Ana
- Restaurants in Santa Ana
- Shopping in Santa Ana
- Warnings and Dangers in Santa Ana
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santa Ana
- 16 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Santa Ana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santa Ana
Photos in Santa AnaSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 278 reviews, 992 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 101 reviews, 331 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 93 reviews, 248 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 58 reviews, 249 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (120)
Latest Santa Ana hotel reviews
- West Coast Motel Santa Ana
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Jun 27, 2011
- Days Inn Suites Anaheim Santa Ana
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 12, 2012
- La Quinta Inn Santa Anna
- 154 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Red Roof Inn Irvine County Orange Airport
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 18, 2013
- Plaza Hotel Santa Ana
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 16, 2013
- Wyndham Orange County Airport
- 423 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013