"San Pedro~Home of USS IOWA" San Pedro by Yaqui
San Pedro Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 196 photos
On October 8, 1542, Cabrillo came across a marshland and natural harbor at the northwest end of San Pedro Bay and named the area Bahia de Los Fumas or “Bay of Smokes” after the smoke that rose from the nearby hillside of Native American hunters. Rancho San Pedro is the site of the first Spanish land grant in Alta California, New Spain.
San Pedro was named after St. Peter of Alexandria.The harbor in San Pedro was used as a trading post by Spanish missionary monks from Mission San Gabriel Arcángel. After the indepence of Mexico, the trade retrictions were lifted in 1822.. This led to the growth of settlements and new commercial ventures in San Pedro. By the time California joined in the Union, in 1848, business in San Pedro harbor was flourishing.
The Port of Los Angeles was founded in December 9, 1907, although San Pedro was annexed during that time, and the port became part of the City of Los Angeles, it is still home of San Pedro.
- Pros:Lots to see and do here~
- In a nutshell:A unseen treasure!
This San Pedro pier extends out 1,200 feet into San Pedro Harbor. It is just inside the north end of the Los Angeles... more travel advice
The Port of Los Angeles Waterfront Red Car Line Marina Station For sixty years, the Los Angeles area was served by a... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
San Pedro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Pedro~Home of USS IOWA"
- "San Pedro, an Urban Original by the Sea"
- "Jumping Around Cabrillo, San Pedro!"
- "San Pedro: What A Surprise"
- "San Pedro"
- "Great views of the harbor and Catalina"
- "The Place of Begining"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Pedro
- Hotels in San Pedro
- Transportation in San Pedro
- Restaurants in San Pedro
- Warnings and Dangers in San Pedro
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in San Pedro
- 25 Reviews
- 125 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to San Pedro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Pedro
Photos in San PedroSee All Photos (125)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 278 reviews, 992 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 101 reviews, 331 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 93 reviews, 248 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 58 reviews, 249 photos