"~ San Juan Capistrano ~" Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Capistrano by Yaqui
San Juan Capistrano Travel Guide: 157 reviews and 469 photos
During its simple beginnings, this was home Native Americans called the Acjachemen tribe who the Spanish, called Juaneños. When Father Serra was establishing the missions around 1776, he named this mission here after the Franciscan saint Giovanni da Capistrano (1386-1456). A huge stone church was built that was 180 feet long, five stories high at the sanctuary and was topped with seven stone domes and a bell tower. A tribute to their faith. Sadly in 1812 an earthquake struck destroying it and killing 40 faithful followers. They church was never reconstructed. Another was built in 1788 and is still in service. Not as grand, but just as beautiful.
Because of the missions, communities started to spring up around them. Around 1821 the Spanish had to reliquenish control over to the Mexican government which privitised them and they were bought and sold. It was a dark time for the missions since they were either went into decay or stripped to build other homes in the area. Lucky for this mission, was bought by Don Juan Forster who lived in the mission and kept his trade goods stored in the Serra Chapel, so it faired better than the other missions. With the help of Msgr. St. John O'Sullivan, the California missions found a champion who was able to save some of the structures and kept the spirit alive and how important these structures were to our history.
The Los Rios District is one of the oldest communities that started when the mission was being established around 1794 and many of these adobe structures are still being lived in.
- Pros:Lots of wonderful history~
- Cons:Traffic is terrible!!!!
- In a nutshell:Visit during the off season or you'll be stuck in traffic~~~
The gardens are among the whole mission and are so lovely. Please take the time to appreciate the time and effort that... more travel advice
Located toward the back of the entrance courtyard and the plaque reads: Gaspar De Portola Born - Balaguer, Spain -... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
San Juan Capistrano Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "~ San Juan Capistrano ~"
- "Historic San Juan Capistrano"
- "San Juan Capistrano"
- "Make a Pilgrimage to California's Missions"
- "San Juan Capistrano"
- "San Juan Capistrano - CA - USA"
- "Beautiful San Juan Capistrano"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Juan Capistrano
- Hotels in San Juan Capistrano
- Transportation in San Juan Capistrano
- Nightlife in San Juan Capistrano
- Restaurants in San Juan Capistrano
- Shopping in San Juan Capistrano
- Warnings and Dangers in San Juan Capistrano
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Juan Capistrano
- 28 Reviews
- 87 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to San Juan Capistrano?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Juan Capistrano
- Posted in Travel Los Angeles Forum "Re: free Los Angeles photo..."
- Commented on one of lmkluque's San Juan Capistrano travel pages
- Wrote a Review The Gardens of San Juan Capistrano about Great Stone Church in San Juan Capistrano Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Gardens of San Juan Capistrano"
- updated a San Juan Capistrano Travel Page "~ San Juan Capistrano ~"
Photos in San Juan CapistranoSee All Photos (87)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 287 reviews, 1078 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 93 reviews, 265 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 59 reviews, 254 photos