San Diego Favorite Tips by Yaqui Top 5 Page for this destination
San Diego Favorites: 204 reviews and 237 photos
Warning sign and prickly pear go together!
Favorite thing: Prickly pear cacti is a very well know species of plant that I personally grew not to like upclose…ah..youth..lol….but I sure do still respect it and admire it for its hardiness. It grows these flat rounded platyclades as they call them, and usually are covered with needles or spines. Ouch, these little coats of armor hurt, believe me. My Aunt Carmen had a huge tree like bush of these in her San Fernando stucco home. I will say they do produce some pretty awesome blooms, which a huge contrast to how God has designed them. They are prominent in the West and Southwest of the US and Mexico.
They are a very good reason to stay on your path!
Prickly Pear Cacti
Favorite thing: If you have noticed that along the walking path from the Point Loma Lighthouse to the Whale watching overlook, you’ll see many wonderful species of local plants. The park took the time to mark many of the significant plants with plaques. Take the time to read the placards and learn about them. San Diego has so many wonderful plants that only grow in this area.
Favorite thing: If you have noticed that along the walking path from the Point Loma Lighthouse to the Whale watching overlook, you’ll see many wonderful species of local plants. The park took the time to plant many of the significant plants that are local to this area. The Lemonade Berry bush appears to be a very simple, but will bloom from February to May these small white to rosy pink petals and are very fragrant. Take the time to look about them.
Favorite thing: Agave shawii is a very unique yucca. That is how I recognize it. It is a very rare plant only found in San Diego County along Baja California. It consist of green ovate leaves that has little needles or teeth that surround the leaves. It blossoms with beautiful yellowish or reddish flowers. Some may think it is an ugly plant and think it may be a hardy plant, but is very sensitive, since it takes it sometime to grow, so it cannot recoup too fast from pollution or damage from contact.
Favorite thing: Jacarandas in another beautiful plant that you will see in many pacific coastal communities all along Southern California. Jacarandas start to bloom during May, June and well into July. They are absolutely a beautiful tree. As scarce as their branches may appear, they off much shade during the hot humid days. They either bloom in blue or purple blooms. They only bloom fully for maybe three months of the year, but those months they are stunning and so appreciated.
Disable Parking up by the Lighthouse!
Favorite thing: California is very disable accessible. You find this is most of restrooms, doors, entries and the sidewalks. And if you find some place that is not, reporting it is always welcome. We want to make our state accessibe for everyone to enjoy.
The park is very accessible to disable individuals, which is awesome. Nicely paved walkways that are wide enough to accommodate anyone in a wheelchair or motorized carts. There are two, maybe three parking spots at the top by the lighthouse. Much of the parking areas have lots of spots available. I always look for this because my mom is elderly now and needs to have the access to these to make her life less of a burden. So I can sympathize for those people who have been render disable. Lets make their life better.
More Reviews (91)
- See All Like at home!
- See All City ballet of San Diego
- See All Spreckels Theatre 1912
- See All San Diego Metropolitan Transit System
- See All Petco Park ~ Home of the Padres
Yaqui's Related Pages
San Diego Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Diego, California"
- "San Diego"
- "Jim_Eliason's San Diego Page"
- "Warm up to San Diego"
- "PAGE DEDICATED TO LINDA (lmkluque on VT)"
- "Something for everyone...San Diego"
- "So Cal... So Cool!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Diego
- Hotels in San Diego
- Transportation in San Diego
- Nightlife in San Diego
- Restaurants in San Diego
- Shopping in San Diego
- Warnings and Dangers in San Diego
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Diego
- 97 Reviews
- 282 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 37 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (112)
Have you been to San Diego?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Diego
Photos in San DiegoSee All Photos (282)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 290 reviews, 1091 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 95 reviews, 345 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 308 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (112)
- San Diego Zoo- 143 Reviews, 209 Photos
- SeaWorld- 84 Reviews, 132 Photos
- Gaslamp Quarter- 35 Reviews, 71 Photos
- Balboa Park- 121 Reviews, 249 Photos
- Seaport Village- 32 Reviews, 84 Photos
- La Jolla- 44 Reviews, 85 Photos
- U.S.S. Midway- 30 Reviews, 100 Photos
- Cabrillo National Monument- 46 Reviews, 120 Photos
- Point Loma- 19 Reviews, 51 Photos
- Old Town San Diego- 66 Reviews, 186 Photos
See All San Diego Things to Do