"San Diego" Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego by Yaqui
San Diego Travel Guide: 3,221 reviews and 7,426 photos
As far back as 20,000 years ago the first people known were San Dieguito’s. Then their descendants Yuman stock, who were a people that could make ceramics, cremations, pictographs, stone tools, clay-lined hearths, irrigation and elaborate stone walls. Then around 1000 AD Yuman and Shoshonean groups migrate to northern San Diego area. By the time Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo sailed here in 1542 an estimate of 20,000 Native Americans existed the Luiseño, Cahuilla, Cupeño, Kumeyaay, and Northern Diegueño tribes.
Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo led the first European expedition to explore what is now the west coast of the United States. Cabrillo departed from the port of Navidad, Mexico, on June 27, 1542. Three months later he arrived at "a very good enclosed port." That port is known today as San Diego bay. Historians believe he anchored his flagship, the San Salvador, on Point Loma's east shore near Cabrillo National Monument. Cabrillo later died during the expedition, but his crew pushed on, possibly as far north as Oregon, before thrashing winter storms forced them to back to Mexico.
"No more beautiful sight can be imagined than a morning at sea, with these magnificent vessels racing in mid-ocean, perhaps two or three of them in sight at one; the sun rising among golden clouds; the dark blue sea flecked with glistening white caps; long, low black hulls cleaving a pathway of sparkling foam; towering masts, and yards covered with snowy canvas which bellies to the crisp morning breeze as if sculptured in marble..."
~Captain Arthur H. Clark
- Pros:Beautiful city with lots to do and see!
- Cons:Traffic can be scary!
- In a nutshell:Give yourself plenty of time to see what SD has to offer!
MISSION SAN DIEGO DE ALCALA is known n as the Mother of Missions for it was the first mission of the 21 missions of... more travel advice
This lovely ornate theatre caught my eye when exploring Balboa Park. I had no idea it has an actual 1914 pipe organ that... more travel advice
- See All San Diego Metropolitan Transit System
- See All Petco Park ~ Home of the Padres
- See All St. James Hotel 1912
- See All Lemonade Berry Bush
- See All Beware of Steep stair and narrow passage...
Yaqui's Related Pages
San Diego Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Diego, California"
- "San Diego"
- "Jim_Eliason's San Diego Page"
- "Warm up to San Diego"
- "PAGE DEDICATED TO LINDA (lmkluque on VT)"
- "Something for everyone...San Diego"
- "Our San Diego Adventure"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Diego
- Hotels in San Diego
- Transportation in San Diego
- Nightlife in San Diego
- Restaurants in San Diego
- Shopping in San Diego
- Warnings and Dangers in San Diego
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Diego
- 93 Reviews
- 265 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to San Diego?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Diego
- Posted in Travel Los Angeles Forum "Re: free Los Angeles photo..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Medea 1904 Steam Yacht"
- Commented on one of lmkluque's San Diego tips
- Wrote a Review Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcala about Mission de Alcala in San Diego Things to Do
- updated a San Diego Travel Page "San Diego"
Photos in San DiegoSee All Photos (265)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 287 reviews, 1078 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 93 reviews, 265 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 59 reviews, 254 photos