"Ridgecrest - Home of Desert Landscapes" Ridgecrest by Yaqui
Ridgecrest Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 31 photos
I have lived in Alaska and Colorado, which gave me a huge appreciate for the wilderness and the greener that surrounds it yet, I look at the desert as home. When we arrived in Lancaster, California in November of 1970 we all looked at our Dad like, "What did we do to live here?" Poor Mom tried to calm our dread by taking us out to explore our new surrounds on Sunday drives. We soon discovered we had it all, warm climate most of the year, the beautiful mountains areas that have lakes, rivers, snow, and the beach, which is not far from Lancaster at all. Besides, we were very adaptable kids from being born and raised in the military life, we all soon learned to love our new home and the surroundings it provided us. Heck, as teenagers we use to explore the old mines, which were NOT a good thing. We were even shot at one time, (warning shots I am sure) from some mine care taker. So, venturing across the desert landscape is not new to me. My hubby grew up on a farm no less in Ohio and he stayed after finishing his military stench because of the warm climate and of course because of Me:-). He is my exploring partner as well as my boys.
California’s Abandoned Mine Lands Program Fact Sheet Stay Out - Stay Alive!
Ridgecrest began in the 1940's because of the US Naval Air Weapons Station and has a very unique US Navel Museum of Armament Technology, many natural wonders like Fossil Falls, Trona Pinnacles, Petroglyphs, and Searless Lake Bed. The Maturango Museum/Visitor Center/Gallery and has an awesome desert garden that displays most of the unique local fauna, so please check it out! Ridgecrest is located in northeast corner of Indian Wells Valley.
Ridgecrest is only 110 miles from Bakersfield and 155 miles from Los Angels. It has a population of about 30,000 and it growing because of the affordable housing market that still abounds here, new shopping areas and restaurants. It is one of the Mecca's of Outdoor Recreation. Horse ranches are popular here, motocross, hiking, biking, and RVing since this area has many approved areas for Off Highway Vehicle usage. (Trying to be pc there with the lingo) I would have to say we have scared a few motocross bikers with seeing our huge Silverado 4X4 truck approaching them on the OHV trails that abound here. Still you need to check with the Bureau of Land Management (Jawbone Canyon Visitor Center) and check out which areas and trails you can still use. They started to restrict many of the areas because of the over usage and land abuse to the local fauna and wildlife. It just takes some bad apples to ruin it for others, so keep that in mind.
- Pros:Some of the best outdoor recreation available
- Cons:It can be hot, windy, and cold, dress accordingly
- In a nutshell:Desert paths awaits you!
This is a very open vast area. Although, Off Higway Vehicles well know they are not to cross on even be on the road.... more travel advice
My boys are not picky about this place. So far I have found that most are always clean, service is good and the food is... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Ridgecrest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ridgecrest - Home of Desert Landscapes"
- "One Night in Ridgecrest"
- "this town sucks!!!!!!!!!"
- "Ridgecrest, California"
- "The Gift's Ridgecrest Page"
- "Ridgecrest The Beautiful"
- "Two Cities Left in California"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ridgecrest
- Hotels in Ridgecrest
- Restaurants in Ridgecrest
- Shopping in Ridgecrest
- Warnings and Dangers in Ridgecrest
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ridgecrest
- 7 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (207)
Have you been to Ridgecrest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ridgecrest
- Posted in Travel Las Vegas Forum "Re: Quiet pool"
- Commented on one of SteveOSF's Ridgecrest travel pages
- updated a Ridgecrest Travel Page "Ridgecrest - Home of Desert Landscapes"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ridgecrest - Home of Desert Landscapes"
- Wrote a Review Beware of OHV crossings in Ridgecrest Warnings and Dangers
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 300 reviews, 1153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 99 reviews, 380 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 111 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 83 reviews, 321 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos