"Ridgecrest - Home of Desert Landscapes" Ridgecrest by Yaqui

Ridgecrest Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 31 photos

Adventures don't come to you, you must find them.

I have lived in Alaska and Colorado, which gave me a huge appreciate for the wilderness and the greener that surrounds it yet, I look at the desert as home. When we arrived in Lancaster, California in November of 1970 we all looked at our Dad like, "What did we do to live here?" Poor Mom tried to calm our dread by taking us out to explore our new surrounds on Sunday drives. We soon discovered we had it all, warm climate most of the year, the beautiful mountains areas that have lakes, rivers, snow, and the beach, which is not far from Lancaster at all. Besides, we were very adaptable kids from being born and raised in the military life, we all soon learned to love our new home and the surroundings it provided us. Heck, as teenagers we use to explore the old mines, which were NOT a good thing. We were even shot at one time, (warning shots I am sure) from some mine care taker. So, venturing across the desert landscape is not new to me. My hubby grew up on a farm no less in Ohio and he stayed after finishing his military stench because of the warm climate and of course because of Me:-). He is my exploring partner as well as my boys.

California’s Abandoned Mine Lands Program Fact Sheet Stay Out - Stay Alive!

The Ridgecrest desert has lots to do and see. Just don't be a whimp about it!

Ridgecrest began in the 1940's because of the US Naval Air Weapons Station and has a very unique US Navel Museum of Armament Technology, many natural wonders like Fossil Falls, Trona Pinnacles, Petroglyphs, and Searless Lake Bed. The Maturango Museum/Visitor Center/Gallery and has an awesome desert garden that displays most of the unique local fauna, so please check it out! Ridgecrest is located in northeast corner of Indian Wells Valley.

Lots to see and explore here!

Ridgecrest is only 110 miles from Bakersfield and 155 miles from Los Angels. It has a population of about 30,000 and it growing because of the affordable housing market that still abounds here, new shopping areas and restaurants. It is one of the Mecca's of Outdoor Recreation. Horse ranches are popular here, motocross, hiking, biking, and RVing since this area has many approved areas for Off Highway Vehicle usage. (Trying to be pc there with the lingo) I would have to say we have scared a few motocross bikers with seeing our huge Silverado 4X4 truck approaching them on the OHV trails that abound here. Still you need to check with the Bureau of Land Management (Jawbone Canyon Visitor Center) and check out which areas and trails you can still use. They started to restrict many of the areas because of the over usage and land abuse to the local fauna and wildlife. It just takes some bad apples to ruin it for others, so keep that in mind.

• Pros:Some of the best outdoor recreation available
  • Cons:It can be hot, windy, and cold, dress accordingly
  • In a nutshell:Desert paths awaits you!
  • Last visit to Ridgecrest: Sep 2007
  • Intro Updated Jan 23, 2008

• SteveOSF's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Nice page on this community with good tips!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2008 at 9:12 AM

Beautiful introductory photo and lots of fun family times on this page.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2008 at 10:36 AM

As a boy, I played Ridgecrest alot in sports, but never took the time to look at the city when older. Thanks!@

• Tugboatguy's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2008 at 10:30 PM

Dee, I traveled to Ridgecrest 12 years on business, you showed the tourist side that I missed. Bravo tips! Thanx for rating my Santa Paula tips-agree with you it is a fine small California town now with renewed civic pride, & cultural attractions. Doug

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2007 at 3:47 PM

DEE, i JUST LOVED READING YOUR INTRODUCTION WITH SO MUCH PERSONAL INFORMATION. gGREAT MATURANGO MUSEUM LOOKS GRAND AS DOES THE GALLERY AND GARDEN. ALWAYS A PLEASURE TO READ YOUR PAGES.

Yaqui Visits Here Frequently!

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Badges & Stats in Ridgecrest

Have you been to Ridgecrest?