"Randsburg - Living Ghost Town" Randsburg by Yaqui

Randsburg Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 130 photos

History past and present preserved

Rand Camp known then in 1896 was a booming community that dotted all over a hillside. Not exactly a planned community since much of the streets sig and sag all over, but Butte Street is fairly straight and heads up towards some of the abandon mine shaft and some active mine shafts. It was established around April of 1895 due to the discover of gold. The Yellow Aster Mine was established by John Singleton, Charlie Burcham and F.M. Mooers. It boasted a community of 2,500 at one time. Even though the rush of gold died down, silver and tungsten was found nearby and the town has lived on. Although, much of the town is abandon with the population of 77 (2000 census), most of the structures are being maintained in arrested decay. The buildings that are being lived in still are wonderful pieces of history being preserved by those hardy present day pioneers. Much of the downtown area is still intact with the General Store, Old post office (End of the Trail Gallery), The Opera House/Café/New post office, The Cottage Hotel, The Randsburg Inn, The Joint, Rand Desert Museum, rest area with public restrooms, White House Saloon, Santa Barbara Catholic Church, many antique shops so tourist, photographers, weekend warriors who roar in on the ATV’s, and movie crews come here to enjoy.

My best friend enlighten me about this place because she escapes here sometimes to take her kids to get a real ice cream sundaes from an actually old fashion soda fountain. So I finally did and brought my family here in amazement that I had taken them to the middle of nowhere….LOL! Yet, they loved seeing an actually living ghost town, hearing it and touching actually historical structures. We had a great time here exploring and it was so nice to do this as a family. I have given birth to little explores just like myself…..Yay!

Also, Randsburg has sister cities: Red Mountain and Johannesburg

And not far are two parks in Cantil Red Rock Canyon State Park & Jawbone Canyon

Randsburg, Ca
Historic Rand

Stamp Mill

From 1890 to 1933 many of buildings were rebuilt after the last three fires this community has experienced. I do know from reading that many of the structures were moved from Garlock, which explains the mystery of lack of structures in Garlock. I wanted to include as many buildings on Butte Ave that are still very much intact and are still being used as either businesses or residence. So much is still here, you just have to come see for yourself someday!

Remembering the past

This town has to keep reinventing itself with different businesses. They seem to come and go, but some are hanging in there. So many treasures reminding us all of how our past and how colorful it was. Let alone how amazing we survive such heartache and hardship. Yet, we seem to keep striving towards the future. Let's make it bright for our future generation in preserving the past.

• Pros:It's a great place to explore history
  • Cons:It can be very hot or cold here
  • In a nutshell:More than a Ghost Town, a place preserved in history!
  • Last visit to Randsburg: Sep 2007
  • Intro Updated May 25, 2013

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2012 at 3:36 AM

I must admit that I have never heard of Randsburg before, but this ghost town just looks fabulous in your photos. Great page.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Hi Dee, another westwern town which reminds me of the 1960s' TV westerns

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Great tour Dee. I enjoyed exploring with you and your family. Loved the soda fountain, the little white Catholic church and the old store fronts :-) A shame some businesses seem to be closing down though

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Thanks Dee for the tour! I just love these little ghost towns. Interesting info!!

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2010 at 4:38 AM

Lovely Randsburg travel page. The city certainly looks wonderful to visit and explore especially with such attractions as the churches, museums and city jail. Thanks for your virtual tour with lovely photographs. ~ho & pang

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Randsburg looks sooooo cute. I know I would love to mosey around town and snoop at all the little specialty shops and antique stores. Fun page. also thanks for checking out my Antwerp pages. Glad you liked it.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2010 at 2:18 PM

It must seem a little eerie to go back in time and see sites like this with little changed-but the people gone form the heh days. Good presentation

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2009 at 2:18 PM

What a fun place to visit, especially with children. Unique place presented with excellent photographs and honest, well written narratives. Love the churches!!! Great B&B. Your family certainly looks to be having a grand old time.

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Hi there Dee - I have been a bit slack on VT - busy busy, funny you should have a Johannesburg and a Randsburg - like us here in SA.

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2009 at 6:13 PM

What a fun little find!!

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Badges & Stats in Randsburg

Have you been to Randsburg?

Latest Activity in Randsburg