"Rancho Mirage" Rancho Mirage by Yaqui
Rancho Mirage Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 60 photos
The Agua Caliente Native Americans were the first residents of the Coachella Valley as with Palm Springs, Cathedral City and Palm Desert. They lived in the canyons establishing their villages along the creeks and pools of water, natural palm groves, and hot springs. Thus, where their name came from Hot Springs in Spanish Agua Caliente. They gathered natural plants to get their seeds to grow natural sources of food. Spanish explorer Captain Jose Romero expedition was searching for a route to the Colorado River when he came upon the Agua Caliente tribe.
It wasn’t until the railroad found its way through this area and a train station was established Coachella in 1946. Like so many other California communities, residents did find there way here and establishing settlements because of the railroad. Another attraction was for health benefits of the warm, dry climate. Agricultural opportunities were an attraction due to the plentiful of water and fertile soil. Lots were sold around 1887, and crops such as alfalfa, grapes, corn, figs, apricots, grapefruit, oranges, and dates sprung up.
Yet, the area was connected before the railroad was finished to the outside world by stage routes, one of which ran through the Rancho Mirage area. Bradshaw Stage Lines from the 1860s, operated to and from California to Arizona. After this route was graded by 1915, it was called the Bradshaw Highway and now, Highway 111.
Then by the 1920’s Hollywood was attracted to this area and this became a winter haven for celebrities. Then mega land developers roared in creating many land developments and posh communities that afforded plush country clubs and golf greens that attracted the attention of celebrities and the wealthy who bought their summer homes here. It eventually earned the name of “golf capital of the world.” Now Rancho Mirage holds some of the famous yearly tournaments such as the Women’s Invitational, the Ryder Cup, and the first Bob Hope Classic. Rancho Mirage was eventually incorporated August 3, 1973 and stands as one of premier communities of Southern California.
- Pros:A very lovely community!
- Cons:People drive way to fast!
- In a nutshell:A place of cool palm breezes!
This is the The Mirada Fountain-Entry to The Ritz-Carlton in Rancho Mirage. To see this beautiful fountain, park over in... more travel advice
The have free entertainment on Friday and Saturday nights. The have a calendar of events on the web site below. So if... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Rancho Mirage Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rancho Mirage"
- "Basaic Rancho Mirage Page"
- "Rancho Mirage, The Playground of Presidents"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rancho Mirage
- Hotels in Rancho Mirage
- Restaurants in Rancho Mirage
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rancho Mirage
- 17 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (207)
Have you been to Rancho Mirage?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rancho Mirage
Photos in Rancho MirageSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 300 reviews, 1153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 99 reviews, 380 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 111 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 83 reviews, 321 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos