"~Rancho Cucamonga~Route 66" Rancho Cucamonga by Yaqui
Rancho Cucamonga Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 106 photos
Once home to the Kucamongan people that were family of Gabrielino that were one of the largest tribes in North America. When the missionaries ventured in bring in prosperity and place where settlers could find supplies and rest. It wasn't till in 1839 when Don Tiburcio Tapia, a successful businessman/judge from Los Angeles, filed an application with Mexico’s Governor of California, for a plot of land called Cucamonga. Tapia was granted 13,000 uninhabited acres between Pomona and San Bernardino. He started a successful cattle ranch and building a large adobe home at Red Hill. Tapia also started the Cucamonga Rancho Winery, California’s oldest winery.Then in 1850's when California found statehood, the old Spanish Ranchers found themselves having financial difficulty. The Tapia's sold the ranch to Alabama-born John Rains and his wife Maria Merced Williams de Rains who both bought the remaining lands and winery. They expanded the winery lands, until sadly Mr. Rains was murdered and Maria left the ranch and it went into foreclosure in 1870, but then sold to Isaias Hellman and other San Francisco businessmen who later formed the Cucamonga Company.
Not soon after that brought in wagon trail over Cajon Pass to the Mission San Gabriel in 1826, the Butterfield Stagecoach line in 1858, the Union Pacific Railroad in 1887, and the Pacific Electric Railway Line in 1913. Yet it during the 1920-30's brought in paved roads and Route 66. Rancho Cucamonga is considered on the Inland Empire's premier City that sprawls out near the foot of the San Gabriel Mountains. In 1977, three communities Alta Loma, Cucamonga and Etiwanda combined creating the City of Rancho Cucamonga.
- In a nutshell:Beautiful City~
Named for the Gabielino's Native Americans who existed as one of the largest tribes in North American Continent. The San... more travel advice
This site sits at the base of the prominent Red Hill Landmark. The early historic importance of the property stems from... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Rancho Cucamonga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "~Rancho Cucamonga~Route 66"
- "City of Rancho Cucamonga"
- "In Rancho Monday through Friday"
- "Rancho Cucamonga - Southern California"
- "Among Gusts, Cucamonga!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rancho Cucamonga
- Transportation in Rancho Cucamonga
- Restaurants in Rancho Cucamonga
- Shopping in Rancho Cucamonga
- Warnings and Dangers in Rancho Cucamonga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rancho Cucamonga
- 18 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (198)
Have you been to Rancho Cucamonga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rancho Cucamonga
Photos in Rancho CucamongaSee All Photos (67)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 290 reviews, 1093 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 95 reviews, 345 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 308 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos