"Palmdale" Palmdale by Yaqui

Palmdale Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 54 photos

Oldest Historical Landmark in Palmdale

This little building served many lives and been moved to many locations. Built in 1886 as the first school of the Palmdale school district. It's original home was located on 27th East & Ave R-8. It served the Lutheran German settlers that ventured here from Nebraska. In 1899 it was no longer needed by the German settlers and then was moved to Lancaster to be a private residence for a spell. It soon was moved again to Tropico Gold Mine and used by mining families who came and went. Then in 1960 the Daughters of the American Pioneers had it declared a Historical Landmark and once again reclaimed and moved back to Palmdale 1988 where it sits for all future generations to enjoy.

Palmdale is part of the vast Antelope Valley, like her sister city Lancaster, she was able to established herself with the help of hardy settlers and the railroad. Although, a very small communities around 1888 existed due to the hardest German & Swiss immigrants who called their communities Harold, Alpine Springs, and Palmenthal because they mistook the Joshua trees for Palm trees. Had a neighbor from Colorado do that….lol! These new settlers brought with them much promise and seeds to grow wheat and fruit. They were actually successful for a period of time until drought hit, which is can be very common for the desert area. Soon settlers found themselves without crops or land due to shifty land promoters who left them illegal deeds. Settlements were abandon, so many moved on to outlining communities along the mountains and the rest headed to the nearest railhead of Southern Pacific around 1899, which is near the center of town and taking on a new name of Palmdale.

Once the Los Angeles Aqueduct was completed in 1914, (they got their cement from Monolith in the Tehachapi Mountains) which brought water for irrigation for crops and soon the valley was fertile again with Alpha, cattle, and fruit trees.

Palmdale is home of US Plant 42, many other aerospace industries and where the space shuttles were built. Now it is growing like her sister city of Lancaster by leaps and bounds, but stills is surrounded by vast desert landscapes and holding on to her rich past.

Aviation History

Senator William J. "Pete" Knight

Senator William J. "Pete" Knight (November 18, 1929 - May 8, 2004) passed away at the age 74 of acute form of cancer. He was an Republican senator from Palmdale, California who I had the pleasure of knowing during my military years when he was a colonel. The man I remember was always polite, soft spoken and complimentary to our work. He was a man I admired for many years, not because of the status he attained, but because of the man he was and his kindness. He never raised his voice or never reprimanded any of us. He was always a pleasure to launch and recieve from a flight. He flew over 100 types of fighter, trainer, bomber and transport aircraft. He flew the X-15 experimental rocket plane to 4,520 mph, seven times the speed of sound, which is still an unbroken speed record today. He will be so missed.

A Pilot's Prayer

For a vision in our youth, Dear Lord,
We are much beholden, and
With heartfelt respect we invite
Your presence here.
We come to celebrate those glorious
Years when you blessed us with more
Courage than caution and more
determined
Commitment than common sense.
Our vision was to fly, and we hardly
Considered that we might fail.
Eager and proud, innocent and confident,
We left farm and city, job and school,
And slipped from earth bound traces,
Our purpose held, and with Your help
We achieved our hearts' desires;
To serve as pilots in our country's
Causes; to fly in defense of freedom,
Truth and human dignity.

• Pros:Lots of outdoor parks and shopping to enjoy
  • Cons:Lots of traffic and everyone is in a stinkin hurry.
  • In a nutshell:Palmdale growing and expanding into the future.
  • Last visit to Palmdale: Sep 2007
  • Intro Updated Apr 17, 2008

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Great tips

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2011 at 12:52 AM

Dee, nice comments on the Palmdale Playhouse. Two of my daughters and their families live in Palmdale and I watched one of my grand-daughters in ballet at the Playhouse. The wind does howl in Palmdale is my only complaint of the area. :-)

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Wonderful page!!! This should be one of the first places I visit in my next visit in CA. CIAO

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Looks like a great place to stop if you're an aircraft fan. An SR-71, YA-12, and U-2 in one place is pretty impressive.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2010 at 6:16 AM

Excellent introduction with fabulous photos. Lots of variety for adults and children. All places that I'd enjoy seeing. Your descriptions are awesome.

• ncfg's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Nice place to enjoy in a weekend .

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2009 at 2:00 AM

Your passion for history makes your pages so interesting to read. I'm sure lots of people would enjoy Palmdale - there are so many things to do there.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2009 at 6:17 AM

excellent facilties here for a weekend of fun.

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Sounds like a great weekend trip. I'm so hungry for bbq now!! :)

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Wow... looks like my hometown is growing!

Yaqui Visits Here Frequently!

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Badges & Stats in Palmdale

Have you been to Palmdale?

Latest Activity in Palmdale