"Olancha" Olancha by Yaqui
Olancha Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 23 photos
Olancha was a simple Shoshone a village that was at the edge of Owens Lake, but by 1860 Minnard Farley was on the hunt to discover silver for the Silver Mining Company like so many other prospectors. He searched up and along the Coso Range and eventually he was successful. He built the first stamp mill and furnace just south of Olancha Creek. Yet, his fortune was running out when the Native people burned down his stamp mill in 1867. Still, the town thrived since it was becoming a popular stage coach stop. Eventually the first Post Office was established in 1870 and the town was renamed to Olancha, instead of Yawlanche which comes from the people of the Yaudanche Tribe.
The Jawbone spur railroad had tracks this far to help supply the LA aqueduct, but it eventually this line was terminated and the tracks were removed. It was a popular place for ranchers to bring their sheep and cattle to craze on Monche meadows which is not far from here. Yet, because of the natural springs that run through here, Crystal Geyser has a bottling plant just north of here and Anheiser Busch even purchased Cabin Bar Ranch to establish their own water supply.
Now it is favorite of locals who pass thru here to stop at some of the businesses that are still doing well. It may not look like much, but people still live here. There are many areas owned and preserved by the Wildlife Fish and Game, so be careful to not disturb these precious areas.
- Pros:Some historical markers to explore.
- Cons:No major shopping or gas access.
- In a nutshell:Special stores here and treasures of history
One of those unique places along the hwy that caught my hubbies eye. Hmm....he said Fresh Jerky?...I think we will stop... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Olancha Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Olancha - Population 29."
- "Olancha, CA"
- "The Wild Burros of Olancha!!!"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Olancha
- 2 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (212)
Have you been to Olancha?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Olancha
Photos in OlanchaSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 300 reviews, 1153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 99 reviews, 380 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 111 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 83 reviews, 321 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos