"~Ojai~" Top 5 Page for this destination Ojai by Yaqui
Ojai Travel Guide: 87 reviews and 162 photos
Once the home of the Chumash Indians who called this area, "ahwaia" meaning moon, it was part of the huge Mexican Rancho's in 1830's belonging to Fernando Tico. By 1864 settlers were streaming in looking for gold and a new place to call home. In 1874, real estate mogul R. G. Surdam called this area Nordhoff in honor of writer Charles Nordhoff. Sadely after WW1, this name was not being taken too due to anti-German names. So in 1917 the town was renamed to Ojai. When Libbey Glass owner Edward Libbey moved here, he was taken by its beautiful. He financed and redesigned the town since it just experienced a fire that destroyed most of the buildings to incorporate the Spanish style. Robert Winfield built the beautiful Arcade that frames the main street with wonderful shops. The city was incorporated in 1921.
- Pros:Lovely surroundings~
- Cons:Traffic is bad and everyone is in a hurry!
- In a nutshell:Beautiful landscape surrounds you here~
When you stroll or browse the arcade shops along East Street, please take a look behind the arcade, because there are... more travel advice
Something that is so neat when communities do this, is provide a wonderful trolley service around town. It is a great... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Ojai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ojai - "Nest of the Moon""
- "Ojai, California"
- "Get away from Santa Barbara"
- "Another California page solely about food"
- "LizC's new Ojai Page"
- "Relax, unwind, and some time in nature!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ojai
- Hotels in Ojai
- Transportation in Ojai
- Nightlife in Ojai
- Restaurants in Ojai
- Shopping in Ojai
- Warnings and Dangers in Ojai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ojai
- 13 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Ojai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ojai
Photos in OjaiSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 287 reviews, 1078 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 105 reviews, 346 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 59 reviews, 254 photos