"~Oceanside Revisited~" Top 5 Page for this destination Oceanside by Yaqui
Oceanside Travel Guide: 203 reviews and 552 photos
The Shoshonean Indians were the first inhabitants of this area. When the padres established a mission and when the Native People were converted, they were later called San Luiseno or “Luiseno’s” for short, prosperity began for whole community. Sadly the properties were taken over by the local government around 1834 and sold off to local ranchers. It was during this time the mission fell into disrepair. In 1893, Father Joseph Jeremiah O’Keefe took on the task in restoring it. By the time he was ready to retire, most of the mission was saved.
By 1870 a small community had developed called San Luis Rey. By 1884 a post office was established, stores, hotels, and a newspaper. It was during this time the Southern Pacific Railroad was being laid from Los Angeles to San Diego, so a land developer named by Andrew Jackson Myers relocated the town in 1881 and in 1883 he was granted a 160 acres of land and built the first home here. J. Chauncey Hayes an real estate agent, Justice of Peace and the editor of his own newspaper petitioned to rename the community to Ocean Side, but was eventually changed to Oceanside when she was incorporated on July 3, 1888.
As you stand before such a beautiful historical momument, just stand and look around imagining nothing around other than simple huts or houses that may have dotted the landscape and to look up at such a huge structure. I can imagine what an imposing building this must have been for settlers entering the valley during this time. I bet the padres had no idea at what a impact these missions would really have during this time and way it still influences my faith.
This mission is eighteenth of twenty-one California Missions dotting up and along the coast of California. Found in 1798 by Fr Fermin de Lausen and still operated by Franciscan Friars of California, it still serves the community with services, social events, retreats, museum, historical educational tool, and a reminder of our past and future. Only four Franciscan Missions remaining Franciscan Missions
Historical landmark #239 construction began around 1811-1815. The mission is in a shape of a cross 165 ft long and 30 ft height and 27 ft wide. Only twelve of the orginal acrches remain and are part of the musuem and gift shop structure. The mission is considered to be one of the most beautiful of the mission chain, which is rightfully so!
- Pros:Its simply lovely community!
- Cons:Oceanside seems to be very simple and lovely community.
- In a nutshell:Its is a must see if you are in this area every. Not far from the beach which is cool!
Wildlife is special and always be protect, but you have to remember an average male sea lion is from 7 to 8 feet long... more travel advice
A very popular local cafe with has some really good food, great service, and neat beachy decor. We opted to sit outside... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Oceanside Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "~Oceanside Revisited~"
- "Let's meet in Oceanside again :-)))"
- "A day in Oceanside"
- "Oceanside - California"
- "VT welcomes Matt and Ursula to Oceanside"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oceanside
- Hotels in Oceanside
- Transportation in Oceanside
- Nightlife in Oceanside
- Restaurants in Oceanside
- Shopping in Oceanside
- Warnings and Dangers in Oceanside
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oceanside
- 41 Reviews
- 171 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Oceanside?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oceanside
Photos in OceansideSee All Photos (171)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 278 reviews, 992 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 101 reviews, 331 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 93 reviews, 248 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 58 reviews, 249 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (120)
Latest Oceanside hotel reviews
- Oceanside Marina Suites
- 250 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Marina del Mar Condos
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 12, 2013
- Blue Whale Resort
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 10, 2013
- Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort
- 253 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- North Coast Village
- 113 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Aquamarine Villas
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 2, 2013
- Comfort Suites Marina
- 82 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Best Western Oceanside Inn
- 150 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Mission San Luis Rey Retreat
- 1 Review & Opinion