"A place to take in the sights and smells!" Top 5 Page for this destination Morro Bay by Yaqui
Morro Bay Travel Guide: 98 reviews and 258 photos
This 576 foot rocky mound was first sighted by Cabrillo in 1542 and is now a famous landmark for the town of Morro Bay.
Morro Bay has many unique qualities compared to other Californian ocean side communities. It has a natural embayment, and the Army added to that by building breakwaters across the north end of the harbor to have access to the rock. This allowed a wonderful open area for day camping and fishing access to the ocean. Plus, the surfers like to launch into the breakwater end that allows them to swim to the waves. It also gave birdwatchers a unique access to watch many species of birds especially the Peregrine Falcons that live in their natural environment safely.
Although, the power plant does cast a shadowy figure (necessary evil) that is unappealing, the bay and the rock are still lovely to look at and enjoy. This area is also ideal for kayaking because of the breakwaters. So enjoy the shops, restaurants and outdoor activity. Just relax and have a good time.
Morro Bay Net
Morro Bay Chamber of Commerce
Morro Bay, California
We visited here during one of our anniversary trips. We just hit the road and ended up here. We had a wonderful time here.
Post cards rock I think! It brings back memories, especially if you forgot to take any pictures. At least you have a postcard to remind you of your travels.
- Pros:Lovely views and pleasant visit
- Cons:Not a whole lot to see after two days
- In a nutshell:A relaxing atmosphere, don't expect much excitement here:-)
Although, your not allowed to climb on or even near it since they have fenced it off to keep curious adventures from... more travel advice
This little shop has some really neat selection of Harbour Lights limited edition lighthouse sculptures . I am not into... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Morro Bay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A place to take in the sights and smells!"
- "Morro Bay, California"
- "SITTING AT THE ROCK OF THE BAY"
- "Uniquely Set Fishing Village"
- "Welcome to the Rock?"
- "The Bay, The Rock and The Power Station"
- "A Popular Central Coast Location"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Morro Bay
- Hotels in Morro Bay
- Nightlife in Morro Bay
- Restaurants in Morro Bay
- Shopping in Morro Bay
- Warnings and Dangers in Morro Bay
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Morro Bay
- 11 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Morro Bay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Morro Bay
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 287 reviews, 1078 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 105 reviews, 346 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 59 reviews, 254 photos