"Mojave" Top 5 Page for this destination Mojave by Yaqui
Mojave Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 149 photos
Mojave has hit some hard times since Highway 58 has extended around it, but ensuring there are three extits has available to pass thru it still. It still has restaurants, fast food establishments, grocery store, and many local merchants still. Although, times have been tough, some businesses are moving back. Many thought Mojave would finally blow away, but as it turns out travelers still have to pass thru using Highway 14, which is being expanded to safely accomdate travelers up north or to intersect to Highway 58. There are some nice restuarants still such as Denny's, Mike's Pedal Car Cafe, & Primo Burgers, which Mike's Cafe as some of the cutiest pedal cars on display. Oh and AM PM probably has the cheapest gas while passing thru.
It all started when in the 1881 Mr. Winters, a prospector, discovered in Death Valley borate mineral called "Colemanite" or better know too many as "Borax." So, starting in 1883 - 1888 was the beginning of the famed Twenty Mule Teams which were 7,800 pound wagons each hauling at least 12 tons of borax and bone on wheels seven feet high with eight inch steal tires with a train that measured 160 feet long with the best trained twenty mules. They then transported the Borax to the Mojave Desert Railhead 165 miles of scorching desert heat in the summer and freezing temperatures in the winter.
California’s Abandoned Mines- Stay Out - Stay Alive!
Just to let you know, they have beefed up security, so it might be wise to respect the security fencing for everyone's safety!
The airport has seen its up and downs over the years. Many aerospace companies hang in there offering employment and keeping Mojave alive. Yet, it has seen some amazing history such as SpaceShipOne built by Scaled Composites and founded in 1982 by Burt Rutan. Burt Rutan (CEO) and investor philanthropist Paul G. Allen, has made some amazing aviation history. Mike Melvill a 63 year old test pilot and the first civilian to fly a spaceship out of the atmosphere, rocketed it's way to the 62 mile mark above Earth where the threshold of where space begins. After landing safely 90 minutes after takeoff. Mike Melvill earned the first private pilot to earn astronaut wings. "WOW"!!
Yet, they didn't stop here, it made it into space to set a another record.
Stop by to see Legacy Park!
To me, these landmarks are little treasures that give you a glimpse in the local history and I am thankful that it is not lost! Check out where this one is located at on my Tips page, it will make you chuckle and hungry...hahaha!
- Pros:Very quiet here and traffic is better now.
- Cons:Not a lot of shopping available here.
- In a nutshell:Still a very quiet little small home town;-)
Spaceship #1 on October 4, 2004 Mr. Binnie broke two records by being the first private mannaed spacecraft to break the... more travel advice
Located in Legacy Park, this park contains a 24-hour interactive visitor kiosk. Designed and operated by the Board of... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Mojave Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Yubert's Mojave Page"
- "mafootje's new Mojave Page"
- "HIGH DESERT OUTPOST"
- "Tetreus's new Mojave Page"
- "MOJAVE- Californias Golden Cross Roads"
- "Mojave Desert"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mojave
- Hotels in Mojave
- Transportation in Mojave
- Nightlife in Mojave
- Restaurants in Mojave
- Warnings and Dangers in Mojave
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mojave
- 14 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to Mojave?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mojave
Photos in MojaveSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 287 reviews, 1078 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 93 reviews, 265 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 59 reviews, 254 photos