"Mojave" Top 5 Page for this destination Mojave by Yaqui

Mojave Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 149 photos

Mojave Welcomes You!

Mojave has been known for trains, mule trains, Joshua trees, windmills, and a history making airport.

Mojave has hit some hard times since Highway 58 has extended around it, but ensuring there are three extits has available to pass thru it still. It still has restaurants, fast food establishments, grocery store, and many local merchants still. Although, times have been tough, some businesses are moving back. Many thought Mojave would finally blow away, but as it turns out travelers still have to pass thru using Highway 14, which is being expanded to safely accomdate travelers up north or to intersect to Highway 58. There are some nice restuarants still such as Denny's, Mike's Pedal Car Cafe, & Primo Burgers, which Mike's Cafe as some of the cutiest pedal cars on display. Oh and AM PM probably has the cheapest gas while passing thru.

It all started when in the 1881 Mr. Winters, a prospector, discovered in Death Valley borate mineral called "Colemanite" or better know too many as "Borax." So, starting in 1883 - 1888 was the beginning of the famed Twenty Mule Teams which were 7,800 pound wagons each hauling at least 12 tons of borax and bone on wheels seven feet high with eight inch steal tires with a train that measured 160 feet long with the best trained twenty mules. They then transported the Borax to the Mojave Desert Railhead 165 miles of scorching desert heat in the summer and freezing temperatures in the winter.

California’s Abandoned Mines- Stay Out - Stay Alive!

Mojave makes history again and again!!!

Just to let you know, they have beefed up security, so it might be wise to respect the security fencing for everyone's safety!

The airport has seen its up and downs over the years. Many aerospace companies hang in there offering employment and keeping Mojave alive. Yet, it has seen some amazing history such as SpaceShipOne built by Scaled Composites and founded in 1982 by Burt Rutan. Burt Rutan (CEO) and investor philanthropist Paul G. Allen, has made some amazing aviation history. Mike Melvill a 63 year old test pilot and the first civilian to fly a spaceship out of the atmosphere, rocketed it's way to the 62 mile mark above Earth where the threshold of where space begins. After landing safely 90 minutes after takeoff. Mike Melvill earned the first private pilot to earn astronaut wings. "WOW"!!

Yet, they didn't stop here, it made it into space to set a another record.

Scaled Composites

Stop by to see Legacy Park!

Historical Marker in Mojave for the 20 Mule Teams

To me, these landmarks are little treasures that give you a glimpse in the local history and I am thankful that it is not lost! Check out where this one is located at on my Tips page, it will make you chuckle and hungry...hahaha!

• Pros:Very quiet here and traffic is better now.
  • Cons:Not a lot of shopping available here.
  • In a nutshell:Still a very quiet little small home town;-)
  • Last visit to Mojave: Dec 2005
  • Intro Updated May 30, 2009

• akkipaa's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2012 at 2:27 PM

How on earth can I ever pass all your mind blowing and informative reviews through? It takes 7y from me, meaning you have spent at least 77y with these with writing, right? It's really amazing, I know the pages were to search, when I come to west again. Thank you my friend, thank you a lot!

• akkipaa's Profile Photo
      Nov 9, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Yeah, I know, but you know that it is the same always in every place: you have to FIND somehow the importance you don't know or can even imagine. Most of us never find the THING around, right? I have found the most amazing things from emptiness, silence and issues pushing my mind to heaven :)

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
      Nov 12, 2012 at 7:20 PM

When I find a nice quiet place, it speaks volume. I completely understand, thanks again!

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2010 at 8:04 PM

I didn't know that this was where so much space R&D was ocurring. You learn something new every day on VT!

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Another great place you've discovered! Wish I could have stopped while travelling through. :)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2010 at 7:54 AM

I came here expecting desert and found lots of other interesting things instead! Enjoyed reading about SpaceShipOne and the Rotor Roton Rocket in particular :-)

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Nice little page. Love the Mojave Desert, so I thought I should also visit Mojave town :-) Sissi

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2009 at 4:33 AM

A lot of people knock the Denny's chain of restaurants, but Hans and I happen to love eating there. They have a great senoir's menu - a lot of food and economical too. Mojave sure does have a lot of interesting things to see and do there.

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Fantastic page Dee!!! I never known that Rotor Roton Rocket is stored there!!! I really like to visit this famous airport one day!!! Thanks for trip! Ciao

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2009 at 9:13 AM

Your pages are always full of interest for me and this one is no different. Loved that interactive visitor kiosk - wished we had them and I certainly would have appreciated one when we couldn't find any info in Kaunas in August.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2009 at 7:14 AM

interesting town. mike's has a certain appeal, far more than denny's. nice page - heard of the desert, not the town. i swear if we ever visit california, we will make a trip to this area.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Ah ha! They also have Denny's, hehehe...I think it's great they have Rotor Roton Rocket - nice name for a rocket!

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Badges & Stats in Mojave