"~Malibu~" Top 5 Page for this destination Malibu by Yaqui
Malibu Travel Guide: 195 reviews and 706 photos
Long before the white settlers or even the Spanish explorers, the Native Americans called the Chumash had their villages all along the coast of California from Malibu to San Luis Obispo. One of their favorite spots where they had their "Humaliwo" village was near the mouth of the Malibu Lagoon. They called it “where the surf sounds loudly".
Spaniard Juan Cabrillo, who explored this area around 1542, claimed much of California for the King of Spain. One of these areas it encompassed was the small bay of Malibu Lagoon. It was called, "Pueblo de las Canoas" (Town of the Canoes), due to the skillful craftsmanship of the Chumash canoes. In 1775 the expedition by Juan Bautista de Anza that brought with him was 250 men, women, and children from Mexico who braved the unknown to cross the stark deserts and to traverse mountains to establish a permanent Spanish settlement in California. It was rediscovering in 1776 when this hardy settlers camped at the stream under some mighty oak trees, which is today Malibu Creek State Park.
It was young Jose Bartolome Tapia who was the eldest of nine children of one of the settlers trekking their way that he recorded. It was obviously never far from his memory because when he was all grown up, in 1800 he applied for a grant of the land as a reward for his service in the Army. In 1805, he named it Rancho Topanga Malibu Sequit and this is where he had his cattle grazing and started his family. Leon Victor Prudhomme who had married Tapia's granddaughter in 1848 eventually inherited the title to the Rancho Malibu.
Sadly like most Spanish land owners after US-Mexican War, lost their titles once the American government moved into California. Prudhomme was at least able to sell some of his land holdings during the Gold Rush in 1857 to Matthew Keller an Irishman, for about ten cents per acre. By 1892 the Rindge family bought 13,330-acre tract from Henry Keller's son Matthew and were considered the last land owners of Rancho Malibu.
Now it is a high-end real estate mecca of beachfront homes, trendy restaurants and shopping areas. Yet, these folks that live along here work hard in keeping the environment clean so all that live here or visit can enjoy the beautiful sunsets, surf, clean beaches and precious wildlife.
- In a nutshell:Harmony of sea, sun, & beauty~
The Malibu Lagoon Museum adjoins Adamson House (located in the carriage house) and contains an intriguing collection of... more travel advice
The Cafe serves casual Mediterranean-inspired fare and has indoor and outdoor seating. Wine and beer are also available.... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Malibu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lovely Malibu"
- "Malibu! Sweet Livin!"
- "MALIBU: CELEBRITY PACIFIC COASTLINE PLAYGROUND"
- "THE GETTY VILLA MALIBU VIEWS"
- "Beautiful Malibu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Malibu
- Hotels in Malibu
- Transportation in Malibu
- Nightlife in Malibu
- Restaurants in Malibu
- Shopping in Malibu
- Warnings and Dangers in Malibu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Malibu
- 30 Reviews
- 130 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (201)
Have you been to Malibu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Malibu
Photos in MalibuSee All Photos (130)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 290 reviews, 1093 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 95 reviews, 345 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 308 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos