""El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles"" Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles by Yaqui

Los Angeles Travel Guide: 4,411 reviews and 8,884 photos

Painting by Martinez

The first residents were the Tongva (or Gabriele├▒os) and Chumash Native Americans who lived along the California coastal areas for thousands of years until the Spanish missionaries made this their home. On February 2,1781 the first settlers of El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles set out on their long journey to start a new life established by Governor Felipe de Neve. The families consisted of (11 men, 11 women and 22 children) who were of mixed ethnic heritage. Most were Indian, Black, and only two Spaniards. September 4 1781 they established the first township of Los Angeles. Many had to survived the sea and small pox, which we all know is no easy feat for sure. I admire this hardy bunch of pioneers for they set forth in motion the California spirit of today. We are a proud bunch of ethnic cultures that have our share of problems, but California was all ready the first true melting pot of North Americas.

Union Station

I've been through this area countless times since my family roots are from here, but never took the time to really explore it. So the family drove to Lancaster and we hopped on board the Metrolink and headed to Union Station and right across from it is Olvera Street and so much more. Olvera Street has almost countless things to see and do, all mostly historical. It is part of "El Pueblo de Los Angeles State Historic Park". The Civic Center area has so many wonderful little gems hidden and was fun to find. Union Station is so beautiful and many wonderful pieces of art to see. This page will grow so be aware......lol!

If you only want to look at certain sections, please do so and thank you!

Olvera Street
South Park ~future
Skid Row ~ future
Wholesale District ~future

Musuem of the American West

You can almost hear him sing still.............

I'm back in the saddle again

Whoopi-ty-aye-oh
Rockin' to and fro
Whoopi-ty-aye-yay
I go my way
Back in the saddle again!
~Autry, Gene~

• Pros:Loads to see and do!
  • Cons:Traffic is bad, so give yourself lots of time!
  • In a nutshell:Some hate Los Angeles because of the traffic, but other than that, loads to see, do and enjoy!
  • Last visit to Los Angeles: Jan 2010
  • Intro Updated Mar 3, 2014

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Hello, Dee! Thanks for your wonderful comprehensive page about this great destination! You have definitely made it closer to me!

• kris-t's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2012 at 4:27 AM

Great LA page, lots of history. Thanks!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
      Nov 9, 2012 at 7:14 AM

Thank y ou. I have more to add when ever I get the chance. Los Angeles has so much to see and do. Thanks again!

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Love the main photo :)

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Such a large city Dee it would take a month of solid touring to see LA properly.

• Mar 10, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Anyone who can give some more information about Tongva Villages, OTSUNGNA. I heard it's the most prominent, distinguished, and most populated Village of era. Are there maps of the area, to validate what I have been told. RoseHillsReview@yahoo.com

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2011 at 11:21 PM

I think my husband and I would really enjoy the Museum of the West. Still don't mind seeing some of those old Western's!

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2010 at 7:23 PM

I have visited LA a few times, but I never knew there were so many little historic sites. Great page.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2010 at 8:24 AM

I've just been reading your fine new Off the Beaten Path tips. You're so right that there is lots to see for those who are willing to get out of their cars and walk around.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Nice page! I haven't finished reading the whole thing yet so I will have to come back.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2010 at 8:42 PM

You certainly have covered a lot of monuments, buildings and plaques in OTBT tips. Love the Family Man Mural .

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Badges & Stats in Los Angeles

Have you been to Los Angeles?

Latest Activity in Los Angeles