"Long Beach~" Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach by Yaqui
Long Beach Travel Guide: 501 reviews and 1,280 photos
For centuries the Tongva people lived here until in the sixteenth and the 19th century Spanish explorers arrived bringing missions, but sadley the population dropped being exposed to European diseases. Two Spanish grand rancho's settled here and thrived. In 1843, the Temple family bought Rancho Los Cerritos. In 1866 he sold it to a Sheep Ranch Flint Bixby & Co. It was later sold to the Long Beach Land & Water Company and in 1888 the city was incorporated and barring the name of Long Beach.
The area that is now Long Beach was first settled as part of a massive Spanish land grant to soldier Manuel Nieto 1784, encompassing the historic 28,000-acre Ranch Los Alamitos and its sister rancho, 27,000-acre Rancho Los Cerritos. By 1866, Rancho Los Cerritos was sold to Lewellyn Bixby and then managed by his brother Jotham. The Bixby family soon became prominent ranchers and developers of Long Beach. Competition between the new Santa Fe Railroad in 1885 and older southern Pacific Railroad attracted hordes of visitors to Long Beach and created a real estate boom.
Original residents of the foiled Willmore City in 1888 renamed their town Long Beach, after its long, wide beaches, and the city became incorporated. The introduction of the Pacific Electric trolley caused the city to grow both as a resort and commercial center. From 1902 to 1910 Long Beach was the fastest growing city in the United States. The Port of Long Beach was established in 1911.
Located along the walls of the "The Immortal Chaplains" Chapel is a story of how Charles Walter David, Jr.,... more travel advice
These larger awesome models are wonderfully done. Please take the time to look at all of them. So much talent and care... more travel advice
- See All Cooking great since 1968~
- See All Haunted Encounters
- Classic Decor
- See All Parking~
Yaqui's Related Pages
Long Beach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Long Beach~"
- "The week before Christmas"
- "Cool Breezy L.B."
- "A Local Gal's Guide to Long Beach"
- "Really a long beach"
- "Downtown Shots (including more doggie beach ones!)"
- "Long Beach"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Long Beach
- Hotels in Long Beach
- Transportation in Long Beach
- Nightlife in Long Beach
- Restaurants in Long Beach
- Shopping in Long Beach
- Warnings and Dangers in Long Beach
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Long Beach
- 59 Reviews
- 255 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (198)
Have you been to Long Beach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Long Beach
- Posted in Travel Sequoia National Park Forum "Re: Visitng the park over..."
- updated a Long Beach Travel Page "Long Beach~"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Long Beach~"
- Wrote a Review Charles Walter David, Jr. Stewards-Mate 1st Class about Queen Mary in Long Beach Favorites
- Uploaded a Video to Long Beach
- Commented on one of kyoub's Long Beach travel pages
Photos in Long BeachSee All Photos (255)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 290 reviews, 1093 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 95 reviews, 345 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 308 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos