"Lone Pine" Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine by Yaqui
Lone Pine Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 281 photos
First settled as a camp in 1861 it was named after a single Jeffrey pine and is the largest unincorporated community in Inyo County. Settlers of so many wonderful nationalities moved in such as Mexican families and Welsh and Cornish immigrants. Sadly, the 1872 earthquake did its worst damage to Lone Pine because so many of the homes were of adobe construction they crumbled terribly. Many died and are buried just north of town. A California Historical Marker graces it to honor those lost. Lone Pine is obviously a principal commercial center for this area since most of the commercial retail in the central part of town right along U.S. Highway 395. This strip still boast a wonderful old world western feel. Most of the storefronts have kept their historical storefronts giving the town wonderful quaint home towns feel. The locals are all so friendly and helpful. Sidewalks are wide and there is on the street parking and there is a stoplight in the middle of town to slow down the traffic so you can cross the streets safely, but be cautious for the occasional brain dead tourist who is just passing through.
Every October since 1990, the Lone Pine Film Festival includes movies, arts and craft shows, and tours of movie locations in the nearby Alabama Hills.
- Pros:Beautiful landscapes and loads of outdoor recreation
- Cons:None I can think of!
- In a nutshell:For a small community it has lots to offer.
On March 16, 1872 at 2:30 AM Lone Pine experienced an earthquake that destroyed 60 buildings and killed Twenty-six... more travel advice
Lots of wonderful murals located up along the street. For starters the one on the The Beverly and Jim Rogers Museum of... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Lone Pine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A small town with a really big mountain"
- "Lone Pine"
- "Lone Pine - entrance to the highest Sierra"
- "Home of Old West Movies and the High Sierra"
- "Lone Pine - A Hang Glider's Paradise"
- "The Eastern Sierras started here for me"
- "LONE PINE, California."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lone Pine
- Hotels in Lone Pine
- Nightlife in Lone Pine
- Restaurants in Lone Pine
- Shopping in Lone Pine
- Warnings and Dangers in Lone Pine
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Lone Pine
- 17 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Lone Pine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lone Pine
- Posted in Travel Las Vegas Forum "Re: Help in regards to a rental..."
- Commented on one of travelgourmet's Lone Pine travel pages
- Wrote a Review Grave of 1872 Earthquake Victims in Lone Pine Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Grave of 1872 Earthquake Victims"
- updated a Lone Pine Travel Page "Lone Pine"
Photos in Lone PineSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 278 reviews, 992 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 101 reviews, 331 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 93 reviews, 248 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 58 reviews, 249 photos