"Lone Pine" Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine by Yaqui
Lone Pine Travel Guide: 126 reviews and 335 photos
First settled as a camp in 1861 it was named after a single Jeffrey pine and is the largest unincorporated community in Inyo County. Settlers of so many wonderful nationalities moved in such as Mexican families and Welsh and Cornish immigrants. Sadly, the 1872 earthquake did its worst damage to Lone Pine because so many of the homes were of adobe construction they crumbled terribly. Many died and are buried just north of town. A California Historical Marker graces it to honor those lost. Lone Pine is obviously a principal commercial center for this area since most of the commercial retail in the central part of town right along U.S. Highway 395. This strip still boast a wonderful old world western feel. Most of the storefronts have kept their historical storefronts giving the town wonderful quaint home towns feel. The locals are all so friendly and helpful. Sidewalks are wide and there is on the street parking and there is a stoplight in the middle of town to slow down the traffic so you can cross the streets safely, but be cautious for the occasional brain dead tourist who is just passing through.
Every October since 1990, the Lone Pine Film Festival includes movies, arts and craft shows, and tours of movie locations in the nearby Alabama Hills.
- Pros:Beautiful landscapes and loads of outdoor recreation
- Cons:None I can think of!
- In a nutshell:For a small community it has lots to offer.
This mural is in celebration of event that took place in 1937. The pageant weekend in 1937 was created by Father Crowley... more travel advice
This whole area is still is a favorite for movie makers. This marker is right at the entrance where some of the most... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Lone Pine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A small town with a really big mountain"
- "Lone Pine"
- "Lone Pine, California"
- "ENTRY TO THE HIGHEST SIERRA"
- "Home of Old West Movies and the High Sierra"
- "Lone Pine - A Hang Glider's Paradise"
- "The Eastern Sierras started here for me"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lone Pine
- Hotels in Lone Pine
- Nightlife in Lone Pine
- Restaurants in Lone Pine
- Shopping in Lone Pine
- Warnings and Dangers in Lone Pine
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lone Pine
- 18 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (212)
Have you been to Lone Pine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lone Pine
Photos in Lone PineSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 300 reviews, 1153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 99 reviews, 380 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 111 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 83 reviews, 321 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos