"LANCASTER" Top 5 Page for this destination Lancaster by Yaqui
Lancaster Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 148 photos
Lancaster began in 1881 as most western towns as a train depot that consisted of nothing more than a railroad building, tent, and a water tank. As settlers moved in, more and more lots became available for sale and soon like any other western town it was starting to fill of hard work, dust, heat, sweat, sadness, and yes laughter of the hardest of poineers. Let's not forget that gold was dicovered in 1898 north of Lancaster among hills, which brought some of the hardest souls to the Antelope Valley. Twenty Mule Team wagons ran in and out thru the valley one of the largest deposites and largest pit mine of Borax. Soon hotels and settlements started to spring up.
It really boomed once the Los Angeles Aqueduct was completed in 1914, (they got their cement from Monolith in the Tehachapi Mountains) which brought water for irrigation for crops and soon the valley was fertile with Alpha, cattle, and fruit trees.
Then in the 1930's Muroc Air Base known back then started it's first testing and during WWII the base found itself planted in history because of Muroc Dry Lake bed. It was 1949 that the base was renamed after U.S. Air Force test pilot Glen Edwards, who died while testing the Northrop YB-49. This base then and now has brought so many individuals seeking jobs and promise and the valley continues to grow.
The Western Hotel known back then as the Antelope Valley Hotel was then sold to Mr. Rockabrand and changed to the Gillwyn Hotel and then to reasons unkown changed to the Western Hotel. It was operated way into the 1960's by Myrtie Webber. She still was a very much involved with the hotel until her death in 1978 of the age of 110.
Yet, this building endured many sets backs of restoration due to no funding and vandalism. In 1978, an eight grade class of Park View School decided to take it upon themselves to clean her up and movtivate the community to save one of our last treasures. They had many fund raisers which raised $40,000 to purchase the site to save her. Soon the city of Lancaster took over the restoration in 1987. Now she is completed restored and presently houses a museum of our towns most beloved history.
Plus, there is a momument in front of the hotel dedicated to the Tuskegee Airmen. Dedicated in Feb 28, 1999 to the young and brave African American Airmen who dedicated their service and lives during WWII.
Historical Marker No.658
Check out Marks site too because he is an ex-Antelopean:-)ATXtraveler.
You'll find these everywhere from Acton to Bakersfield covering the hills sides in the brightest orange. The pedals will close when it is cold or windy, so you can see them best when it is calm and sunny. They grow the best of course when our rainfall has been frequent the winter before. By the way, my poppy photograph is being used as a backdrop in a locals buisness card.....yay!
We owe much of our aviation history to that of Edwards AFB and Plant 42. This community would not be where it is, if it weren't for all the involvement of Edwards. Lancaster as been most gracious to show its gratitude with the dedication of the Aerospace Walk of Honor on Lancaster Blvd. Also, all these wonderful murals that I will put into a travelogue and also in my travel tips.
- Pros:Has much to offer as for housing, shopping, and sight-seeing!
- Cons:It has grown considerably, and so has the crime. So be careful!
- In a nutshell:Lancaster is still a neat city, but it is no longer the farmer or ranch community I grew up in.
The Underground Bowling Lounge is a place to have a great time. 21 and over after 7 p.m. means that UBL is the perfect... more travel advice
The Forge is a combination of Fashionable Apparel & Accessories, Bath & Apothecary to Soothe and Heal, and Kitchen and... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Lancaster Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Land of Sand!"
- "HOME TO THE CALIFORNIA STATE FLOWER"
- "Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve"
- "Engineer's Dream ... Adventurer's Nightmare"
- "Basaic Lancaster Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lancaster
- Hotels in Lancaster
- Transportation in Lancaster
- Nightlife in Lancaster
- Restaurants in Lancaster
- Shopping in Lancaster
- Warnings and Dangers in Lancaster
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lancaster
- 36 Reviews
- 88 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 31 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (112)
Have you been to Lancaster?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lancaster
- Posted in Travel Los Angeles Forum "Re: Annual L.A. County Holiday..."
- Commented on one of Yaqui's Lancaster videos
- Uploaded a Photo to "Western Hotel and Museum"
- Wrote a Review Underground Bowling Lounge & Bex Bar/Grill in Lancaster Things to Do
- updated a Lancaster Travelogue "~Forever Friends~"
- Uploaded a Video to Lancaster
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 290 reviews, 1091 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 95 reviews, 345 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 308 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos