"Irvine~Home of Turtle Rock!" Top 5 Page for this destination Irvine by Yaqui
Irvine Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 229 photos
Gabrielino were of the Shosonean language group Indians moved into the Irvine area 2,000 years ago, establishing dozens of villages. They enjoyed an abundant food supply of shellfish, waterfowl and land animals. They lived in round, woven huts and were excellent basket weavers and makers of seashell and stone jewelry.
Then came the Spanish explorer, Gaspar de Portola in 1769. Then in 1831 the King of Spain parceled out theh lands for missions and ranches. Those ranches were the Rancho Santiago de Santa Ana, Rancho San Joaquin and Rancho Lomas de Santiago.
Many of the Spanish ranch owners fell on hard times and many of their parcels were sold in 1866. Irvine, Flint and Bixby were devoted to sheep grazing and acquired the 47,000-acre Rancho Lomas de Santiago.
Around the 1900's the Irvine family converted from livestock to growing orchards such as olives and citrus. By 1959 land was sold to the University of California who divided up the surrounding land into villages.
By 1971, the City of Irvine was incorporated.
My husband and my oldest flew out of this beautiful airport to fly east to see Mom/Grandma. It was very easy to drop... more travel advice
Irvine Ranch Historic Park is a 16.5 acre special use park established by the County in 1996 and serves as the... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Irvine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Irvine~Home of Turtle Rock!"
- "The Popular, Vast, Organized, Nature Loving Yuppy"
- "Irvine Culture by Marty Morawski"
- "Irvine, CA. It Must Be Really Tough to Work Here!"
- "spartan's new Irvine Page"
- "Fun Things to do in Irvine"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Irvine
- Hotels in Irvine
- Transportation in Irvine
- Nightlife in Irvine
- Restaurants in Irvine
- Shopping in Irvine
- Warnings and Dangers in Irvine
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Irvine
- 25 Reviews
- 101 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Irvine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Irvine
Photos in IrvineSee All Photos (101)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 287 reviews, 1078 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 105 reviews, 346 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 59 reviews, 254 photos