"~Hollywood~always updating:)" Top 5 Page for this destination Hollywood by Yaqui
Hollywood Travel Guide: 500 reviews and 1,520 photos
Hollywood was established in 1853, with a single adobe hut on land outside Los Angeles, California. Growing crops was so successful there that by 1870, Hollywood became a thriving agricultural community.
One of its most notable historic figures was real estate tycoon, Harvey Henderson Wilcox and his wife, Daeida, who moved to Los Angeles from Topeka, Kansas, in the 1880s. Wilcox, having lost the use of his legs from a bout with typhoid fever prior to moving out west, bought 160 acres of land west of the city, at the foothills near the Cahuenga Pass.
The town's name came from Daeida, who, while on a train trip east met a woman that described her country home in Ohio, that had been named for the Dutch settlement of Hollywood. Liking the name, Daeida christened their ranch "Hollywood," upon her return.
Wilcox submitted a grid map in 1887 of his new town to the Los Angeles County recorder's office. This was the first official document name "Hollywood". The first street called Prospect Avenue, but was changed to Hollywood Boulevard, where city lots were carved out around pepper trees.
By 1900, Hollywood had a population of 500, a post office, a newspaper, a hotel, and two markets. In neighboring Los Angeles, through seven miles of orange groves, the population had reached 100,000. By 1902, the first portion of the famous Hollywood Hotel was built. A new trolley car system was installed in 1904, called the "Hollywood Boulevard."
This mural was painted by artist One Man aka Alex Poli. He is muralist that is trying to have Graffiti made legit. He... more travel advice
An American success story, Pinks beginning was in 1939 when Paul and Betty had a simple cart that they sold their soon... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Hollywood Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hollywood? Hollyweird? Both?"
- "~Hollywood~always updating:)"
- "Seeing Stars...."
- "Perceived Hollywood- The Glamor and the Grunge"
- "Beers G-Style: Hollywood"
- "It's all about movie stars"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hollywood
- Hotels in Hollywood
- Transportation in Hollywood
- Nightlife in Hollywood
- Restaurants in Hollywood
- Shopping in Hollywood
- Warnings and Dangers in Hollywood
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hollywood
- 43 Reviews
- 181 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (112)
Have you been to Hollywood?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hollywood
- Posted in Travel Las Vegas Forum "Re: What to pack for vegas in..."
- Wrote a Review Sneaker Creatures about Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sneaker Creatures"
- updated a Hollywood Travel Page "~Hollywood~always updating:)"
- Commented on one of Yaqui's Hollywood travel pages
Photos in HollywoodSee All Photos (181)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 290 reviews, 1091 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 95 reviews, 345 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 308 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos