"~Hollywood~" Top 5 Page for this destination Hollywood by Yaqui
Hollywood Travel Guide: 452 reviews and 1,308 photos
Hollywood was established in 1853, with a single adobe hut on land outside Los Angeles, California. Growing crops was so successful there that by 1870, Hollywood became a thriving agricultural community.
One of its most notable historic figures was real estate tycoon, Harvey Henderson Wilcox and his wife, Daeida, who moved to Los Angeles from Topeka, Kansas, in the 1880s. Wilcox, having lost the use of his legs from a bout with typhoid fever prior to moving out west, bought 160 acres of land west of the city, at the foothills near the Cahuenga Pass.
The town's name came from Daeida, who, while on a train trip east met a woman that described her country home in Ohio, that had been named for the Dutch settlement of Hollywood. Liking the name, Daeida christened their ranch "Hollywood," upon her return.
On February 1, 1887, Wilcox submitted a grid map of his new town to the Los Angeles County recorder's office. This was the first official document with the name "Hollywood" printed on it. The first street in town was named Prospect Avenue, but was later changed to Hollywood Boulevard, where city lots were carved out around dirt avenues and pepper trees. At one time, English holly was planted in the area, but it didn't survive in the arid climate.
By 1900, Hollywood had a population of 500, a post office, a newspaper, a hotel, and two markets. In neighboring Los Angeles, through seven miles of orange groves, the population had reached 100,000. There was a single-track streetcar line that twisted its way along Prospect Avenue, on an irregular schedule, into the city on a two-hour trip.
By 1902, the first portion of the famous Hollywood Hotel was built. A new trolley car system was installed in 1904, cutting the travel time dramatically. The system was called the "Hollywood Boulevard." Due to its ongoing struggles to maintain an adequate water supply, residents voted to have Hollywood annexed by the City of Los Angeles and its new aqueduct system.http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h3871.html
These are such fascinating place and a little spooky too. Yet there are some oddities that can upset some folks so be... more travel advice
If your a baby boomer like me, you probably remember the movie American Graffiti. It was an era of innocent and... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Hollywood Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hollywood? Hollyweird? Both?"
- "Seeing Stars...."
- "Perceived Hollywood- The Glamor and the Grunge"
- "Beers G-Style: Hollywood"
- "It's all about movie stars"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hollywood
- Hotels in Hollywood
- Transportation in Hollywood
- Nightlife in Hollywood
- Restaurants in Hollywood
- Shopping in Hollywood
- Warnings and Dangers in Hollywood
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hollywood
- 12 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to Hollywood?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hollywood
Photos in HollywoodSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 287 reviews, 1078 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 105 reviews, 346 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 93 reviews, 265 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 59 reviews, 254 photos