"~Hollywood~always updating:)" Top 5 Page for this destination Hollywood by Yaqui
Hollywood Travel Guide: 508 reviews and 1,539 photos
Hollywood was established in 1853, with a single adobe hut on land outside Los Angeles, California. Growing crops was so successful there that by 1870, Hollywood became a thriving agricultural community.
One of its most notable historic figures was real estate tycoon, Harvey Henderson Wilcox and his wife, Daeida, who moved to Los Angeles from Topeka, Kansas, in the 1880s. Wilcox, having lost the use of his legs from a bout with typhoid fever prior to moving out west, bought 160 acres of land west of the city, at the foothills near the Cahuenga Pass.
The town's name came from Daeida, who, while on a train trip east met a woman that described her country home in Ohio, that had been named for the Dutch settlement of Hollywood. Liking the name, Daeida christened their ranch "Hollywood," upon her return.
Wilcox submitted a grid map in 1887 of his new town to the Los Angeles County recorder's office. This was the first official document name "Hollywood". The first street called Prospect Avenue, but was changed to Hollywood Boulevard, where city lots were carved out around pepper trees.
By 1900, Hollywood had a population of 500, a post office, a newspaper, a hotel, and two markets. In neighboring Los Angeles, through seven miles of orange groves, the population had reached 100,000. By 1902, the first portion of the famous Hollywood Hotel was built. A new trolley car system was installed in 1904, called the "Hollywood Boulevard."
This is where you'll find such notable celebrities as Cecil B. Demille, Marion Davies, Tyrone Power, Rudolph Valentino,... more travel advice
My best friend gave me a letter and it said this: Today is your Birthday, but you're gonna have to wait I'm gonna help... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Hollywood Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "~Hollywood~always updating:)"
- "Hollywood? Hollyweird? Both?"
- "Seeing Stars...."
- "Perceived Hollywood- The Glamor and the Grunge"
- "Beers G-Style: Hollywood"
- "Returning for VT's 15th Anniversary"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hollywood
- Hotels in Hollywood
- Transportation in Hollywood
- Nightlife in Hollywood
- Restaurants in Hollywood
- Shopping in Hollywood
- Warnings and Dangers in Hollywood
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hollywood
- 46 Reviews
- 197 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (219)
Have you been to Hollywood?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hollywood
- Uploaded a Photo to "Where celebrities keep a piece of Hollywood!"
- Wrote a Review Where celebrities keep a piece of Hollywood! about Hollywood Forever Cemetery in Hollywood Things to Do
- Posted in Travel Sardegna Forum "Re: Lake liscia Sardinia"
- Commented on one of Yaqui's Hollywood tips
- updated a Hollywood Travel Page "~Hollywood~always updating:)"
Photos in HollywoodSee All Photos (197)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 300 reviews, 1153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 154 reviews, 543 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 100 reviews, 385 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 112 reviews, 363 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 84 reviews, 324 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos