"Glendale" Top 5 Page for this destination Glendale by Yaqui
Glendale Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 185 photos
A young woman painter from Chicago offered the two word name "Glen Dale" and it was approved. Although there is no documented rationale for this choice, "Glendale" means "Valley" in Scottish or Gaelic, and many of the early settlers of the region had emigrated from the British Isles. The two-part name was simplified to one word, however mail continued to be addressed to "Verdugo". It took eight years to persuade the Post Office to adopt the name "Glendale".
By 1887, Glendale , having an established name and being at about 150 acres, was surveyed and recorded officially as a town. By the turn of the century Glendale was rapidly becoming urbanized. In 1902 the Glendale Improvement Society, under the leadership of Mr. Edgar D. Goode and Dr. D.W. Hunt, embarked on a campaign to advertise Glendale, to develop new business, to attract residents, and above all to bring the Los Angeles Interurban railroad to Glendale from Los Angeles. The tracks were laid in 1904 through a strip of land owned by Leslie C. Brand -- a location well to the west of the then main thoroughfare, Glendale Avenue. The railway (by then called the Pacific Electric) eventually helped shift the business center of Glendale to Brand Boulevard, and also sparked the desired population growth. Glendale was officially incorporated in 1906.
Coyote attacks on humans are uncommon and rarely cause serious injuries, due to the relatively small size of the coyote.... more travel advice
We stopped here to get breakfast and were not disappointed. The portions were large and the food was good. You got your... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Glendale Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful little city near Los Angeles"
- "Glendale Glee!"
- "Just 5 minutes from Pasadena"
- "One of the Shopping Areas of LA County"
- "Glendale: The Champagne Brunch Capital"
- "the 'dale"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Glendale
- Hotels in Glendale
- Nightlife in Glendale
- Restaurants in Glendale
- Shopping in Glendale
- Warnings and Dangers in Glendale
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Glendale
- 7 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (208)
Have you been to Glendale?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glendale
Photos in GlendaleSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 300 reviews, 1153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 99 reviews, 380 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 111 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 83 reviews, 321 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos