"Garden Grove~" Top 5 Page for this destination Garden Grove by Yaqui
Garden Grove Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 88 photos
In 1822, Mexico gained independence from Spain, and California became a province of Mexico. It was the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo in 1848, at the end of the Mexican-American War, that made all of California a territory of the United States of America. In 1850, California became the 31st state in the union.
A businessman named Abel Stearns bought large tracts of land in Southern California in 1868 and divided some of it into smaller lots to sell to settlers. In 1874, Alonzo Cook purchased 160 acres of land in the area for about $15 an acre. Recognized as Garden Grove's Founding Father, he later donated land north of Main Street and Garden Grove Boulevard for use as the site of the first schoolhouse and post office. Cook suggested the name "Garden Grove" for the school and surrounding village. Some countered that the name did not fit the open terrain. Cook responded, "We'll make it appropriate by planting trees and making it beautiful."
By the time Orange County incorporated in 1889, the Garden Grove area had a population of about 200. It continued as a quiet farming community into the 20th Century, when in 1905, the Pacific Electric Railroad came through Garden Grove. The railroad brought tourists, visitors, and before long, more settlers. Soon after came the first telephone, gas and electric services for the residents near Main Street.
Garden Grove has been a "capital of" from the early days until the city was incorporated in 1956; the chili-pepper capital of the world in the early 1920s, the poultry capital of the world a little later, the egg capital of the world not long after that, and the strawberry capital of the world in the late '50s. The last is what gave Garden Grove the Strawberry Festival, a parade and carnival held every Memorial Day weekend.
Located within the courtyard of the original chapel and the Tower of Hope is an art gallery. I wondered in and enjoyed... more travel advice
This was their first chapel, then to a new location and sanctuary in 1961 designed by renowned architect Richard Neutra.... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Garden Grove Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Garden Grove~"
- "Garden Grove....a beauty!"
- "Yubert's Garden Grove Page"
- "BuickMackane's Garden Grove, CA Page"
- "Garden Grove: Spitting Distance From Disneyland"
- "The Crystal Cathedral statues"
- "Famous Church"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Garden Grove
- Hotels in Garden Grove
- Transportation in Garden Grove
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Garden Grove
- 10 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to Garden Grove?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Garden Grove
Photos in Garden GroveSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 287 reviews, 1078 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 93 reviews, 265 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 59 reviews, 254 photos