"Fort Tejon State Historic Park" Fort Tejon State Historic Park by Yaqui

Fort Tejon developed 1854 -1864 when the gold rush was bring in settlers either making this their home or just passing through. With settlers, miners, and Native Americans cultures clashing, conflicts began to occur. So the government decided a fort was needed to maintain peace.

Fort Tejon is situated in the beautiful rugged Tehachapi Mountains within Grapevine Canyon at the top of Tejon Pass. It was first the home of the Emigdiano Indians who had a village with the canyon. When a reservation tried to be established, it could not sustain the army, Natives, or the animals. It was Maj Donaldson decision to move the fort here because of a area called the Travelers Flat that had a natural spring well. Along with having a water source it had all the other natural resources such as timber and grassy meadows to build and live in a fort.

Construction began in 1854 and soon grew to 40 buildings over the years. Sadly, the buildings came and gone due to earthquakes, fires, and decay. Fort Tejon closed around 1864. Edward F. Beale started purchasing the lands prior to the forts closure, but eventually acquired the lands in and around the fort. Fortunately in 1940 five acres that the fort sat on was deeded to the state of California to be a state park. Happily restoration began to the buildings that could be save and even reconstructed some.

Many of the trees within the park have been dated from 300 to 400 years old. Maybe older. We have a least two ancient oak trees are our property and we treasure them. My hubby asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I wanted to come here. Although, the fog kept rolling in with drizzling rain, it did not deter us one bit.

What is wonderful about this area even with the Interstate, it abounds with wildlife.

• Cons:You have to travel Interstate 5
  • In a nutshell:Surrounded by outdoor beauty~
  • Last visit to Fort Tejon State Historic Park: May 2010
  • Intro Updated Jul 13, 2010

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2014 at 2:46 AM

Excellent page on Fort Tejon!

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I have always wanted to stop here driving back to Northern California but you made it easy with your helpful commentary and awesome pic. Thanks Dee!

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Lovely travel pages on Fort Tejon State Historical Park. It is certainly an interesting location to visit and explore. ~ho & pang

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Interesting page; great main photo

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2011 at 3:22 PM

I love how California takes pride in their small, historic towns like we do here in Texas. :) Another great page and another place to put on my travel list! Lol

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2010 at 5:02 AM

Lots of great info on this very interesting Fort Tejon State Historic Park.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2010 at 9:17 AM

What a super page, Dee. I found Peter Lebec Mountain Man quite unique. So enjoyed the tip about the blacksmith. You are the Queen of the Historical Markers, and I love them.

• ncfg's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2010 at 2:04 AM

Very nice place to visit. I love the way you tell us about the places.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2010 at 3:47 AM

That's an amazing story of Peter Lebec or Pierre Levesque and the grizzly bear and how his grave marker got imprinted in the tree bark. I think a French five-franc gold piece was probably worth a lot of money in 1836.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Snakes Alive I can do without but your visit here sounds magical

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Badges & Stats in Fort Tejon State Historic Park

Have you been to Fort Tejon State Historic Park?

Photos in Fort Tejon State Historic Park