"Cholame~History visited, A loss of a Icon" Cholame by Yaqui
Cholame Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 36 photos
This bill board is at Blackwell's Corner on Highway 46.
Cholame is part of the San Luis Obispo County. It’s a wide open range of picturesque pasture land that accommodates cattle all along its rolling hills. Family homestead dot the landscape all along Highway 46. Cholame came into fame when James Dean died on September 30, 1955, when he crashed his Porsche 550 Spyder. Fans gather frequently at his memorial to pay tribute to an Hollywood icon.
Born James Bryon Dean Feb 8, 1931 became one of those most unforgetable Hollywood Icons that is synanomous with Humphrey Bolegart, Marilyn Monroe and Clark Cable. James Dean was known for his need for speed. His love of fast wheels evolved to purchasing his 1955 Porsche 550 Spyder, which unfortunately was the vechile he died in only after two weeks of purchase. Irony is, he was even given a ticket for speeding that same day while traveling along highway 99 by Mettler Station.
Blackwell's Corner market is the last stop he made to chat with a fellow race driver and buy a pack of cigarettes. Not soon while another car was turning onto the road at the fork of intersection of 41 and 46, this vehicle collides head on into James Deans car and send him into out of control and cartwheels, which envitably becomes his last ride. A memorial has been gracing the spot near his passing. Next to the memorial is a nice little restaurant. We took a drive to see the unique bill board that graces James Dean face at Blackwells Corner Market. If you continue on Highway 46 and as you pass the junction of Highway 46 and 41 you'll see a cafe on the right, be sure to stop there because this is where the memorial is located
We haven't been thru this way for quite some time. It is nice to see they have widen Highway 46 in some sections and are working on widening it more on other sections. So our drive was enjoyable, but then again we were traveling in March, so we did avoid the summer traffic. Blackwells Corner Market has change and is huge. With lots of neat things to see and eat...yum!
- Pros:If you like a Sunday or Saturday drive, this is up your alley!
- Cons:Not much else to see other than pasture land and traffic
- In a nutshell:Still worth to see if you enjoy Hollywood History
Located inside the Blackwells Corner Market is a restaurant that has the decor of a old fashion 50's dinner. Lots of... more travel advice
On November 18, 1921 George Blackwell, with a few sticks of lumber, a few cans of water and an overpowering spirit,... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Cholame Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Cholame
- Restaurants in Cholame
- Warnings and Dangers in Cholame
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cholame
- 8 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (201)
Have you been to Cholame?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cholame
Photos in CholameSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 290 reviews, 1093 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 99 reviews, 377 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 111 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 83 reviews, 321 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos