"Cathedral City" Cathedral City by Yaqui

Cathedral City Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 39 photos

Hidden Gem next to Palm Springs

Given the name Cathedral Canyon in 1850 by Col. Henry Washington of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers due to its natural formation for having the appearance of the inside of a grand cathedral. Pioneers who were hardy enough to endure the hot summer months remained and made this their home for many generations. It was not until 1925 that some inventive developers build subdivisions and called it Cathedral City.

It was incorporated in 1981 and now it sits between some very impressive cities that represent the elite lifestyle that has become synonymous with the southern California lifestyles.

Our Stay

We stayed at Lawerence Welk Desert Oasis. For your baby boomers what may bring to mind is tiny bubbles:) I know it did for me, but it was all I had anticipated. It was lovely decorated, all the comforts of home, centrally located, and priced just right. We enjoyed our stay very much and will probably stay there again.

• Pros:Affordable hotels, restaurants, and & entertainment
  • Cons:Cannot think of any!
  • In a nutshell:Hidden Gem of Coachella Valley!
  • Last visit to Cathedral City: Dec 2008
  • Intro Updated May 7, 2009

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Nice Page Dee, The desert areas of USA appear to feature many resorts, there must be an underground water resource.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I've really enjoyed reading your Cathedral city page. Love your photo's of the sculptures and the fountains!

• omidamini's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2011 at 1:44 AM

Thank you, not big city but nice to visit.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2011 at 4:06 PM

This looks a beautiful town to visit, the artistic monuments to movie stars etc took my attention. Enjoyed your page Dee.

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2010 at 11:04 PM

I love your picture of the fountain!! Another great page :)

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2010 at 10:31 AM

falling in love with all the amazing sculptures lining the streets of these towns. especially the cactus and the remarkable fountain. great page.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2010 at 7:56 AM

Some lovely features to this city, especially the fountain, stainless steel cactus sculptures and Mary Pickford Theatre. And the resort looks very good!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2009 at 6:18 AM

The Fountain of Life is indeed very beautiful as is the Civic Center. A stainless steel Saguaro - how cool is that! The Resort is awesome .

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Very good unusual Tips here - I hope I can persuade my sister to take us up there in the spring - or lend us her car!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2009 at 1:44 PM

I love the fountain but the numerous statues and murals are outstanding! This is a great looking city. Amazing steel saguaros!

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Badges & Stats in Cathedral City

Have you been to Cathedral City?

Latest Activity in Cathedral City