"Carlsbad" Top 5 Page for this destination Carlsbad by Yaqui

Carlsbad Travel Guide: 183 reviews and 330 photos

Home of Legoland!

Like many Californian coastal communities, Spanish explorers were mapping and settling areas all along the California coast line. Don Gaspar de Portola found his way and claimed the territory for the Kind of Spain in 1769. Missionary Juan Crespi settled this area to establish a missionary San Luis Rey. Soldiers had christened the area Agua Hedionda (stinking water) since they made the mistake of camping downwind of a garbage pile in the lagoon. Still a mission was established 1798 and was one of the 21 missions in all along California’s coast. Carlsbad is named for the popular 19th century Karlsbad Spa in Europe. In 1883 the land was divided for sale to settlers for ranching and farms. When the railroad built Santa Fe Depot station in 1887, it opened up even more expansion to the west. Now it is a beautiful coastal community that takes great pride in her beauty of clean sandy beaches and natural lagoons home to an array of wildlife that are protected and maintained.

A beautiful place by the ocean!

It was a very beautiful morning. We were killing some time, since my neice Shannon needed to check in with her supervisor about her schedule for the next week cases. She works with the county outreach program that helps adults with mental disabilites and helps guide them with their finances, since many are out on their own. It is a very difficult job that requires so much patience. She is such a dear! (Update) My lovely niece is married now with a wonderful husband and beautiful little boy.

It was overcast in the morning, but soon the clouds broke up and it was wonderfully warm. My sister and I walked a very long distance in the sand to get our morning workout. We enjoyed it since not too many people were out yet.

Carlsbad Vistor Center

Make sure to stop by here first and say Howdy to the lovely ladies in the Vistor Center:-)!

• Pros:Lots to see and do, one the prettiest beaches
  • Cons:Pricey and parking is hard to find
  • In a nutshell:Lots of beautiful beaches with wonderful walkways for all.
  • Intro Updated Sep 14, 2009

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Excellent page Dee! Legoland looks incredible, I am always amazed at what they can build. I bet your children had a wonderful time there, I probably would myself!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Dee, interesting to read about the American town, which is home to Legoland. Even more interesting to read about your first visit of an Irish pub. *winkygrin*

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Hello, Dee! Thanks for your presentation of that splendid Gem of California...

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2010 at 3:51 AM

Legoland - how cool is that! My son loved Legos esp the space vehicle ones. Carlsbad looks so charming. The Spa is built in the half-timber style, so common in Germany.

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2010 at 7:52 PM

I WANNA GO TO LEGOLAND!!! :) You'll have to email me about it...There's one in England where I'm staying this Christmas. Was it worth it??

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2010 at 1:39 PM

WOW, we lived right there for 11 yrs and I had no idea about the murals or a number of the other places!! But we often went to the TWIN INNS for wonderful dinners,and to the Grand deli--always packed on wknds. and the Depot.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2009 at 8:32 AM

I went by here many times and not even aware of the place. Great job of comments and pictures to give me that tour I missed.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2009 at 8:48 AM

I never knew there was a Legoland in CA - the UK one is not far from us though we've never been. The lovely beach, spa and historic buildings interest me more, but then I am over 10 years old lol ;-) Oh, and the Irish brews too, of course!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2009 at 2:06 PM

We have a lego land here in the UK but didn't know of the origins of the name :) thanks for the explanation

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Carlsbad Mineral Water Spring looks like a very attractive place to visit and Carlsbad State Beach to stroll along! Thanks Dee for sharing!

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Badges & Stats in Carlsbad

Have you been to Carlsbad?

Latest Activity in Carlsbad