"Carlsbad" Top 5 Page for this destination Carlsbad by Yaqui
Carlsbad Travel Guide: 189 reviews and 353 photos
Like many Californian coastal communities, Spanish explorers were mapping and settling areas all along the California coast line. Don Gaspar de Portola found his way and claimed the territory for the Kind of Spain in 1769. Missionary Juan Crespi settled this area to establish a missionary San Luis Rey. Soldiers had christened the area Agua Hedionda (stinking water) since they made the mistake of camping downwind of a garbage pile in the lagoon. Still a mission was established 1798 and was one of the 21 missions in all along California’s coast. Carlsbad is named for the popular 19th century Karlsbad Spa in Europe. In 1883 the land was divided for sale to settlers for ranching and farms. When the railroad built Santa Fe Depot station in 1887, it opened up even more expansion to the west. Now it is a beautiful coastal community that takes great pride in her beauty of clean sandy beaches and natural lagoons home to an array of wildlife that are protected and maintained.
It was a very beautiful morning. We were killing some time, since my neice Shannon needed to check in with her supervisor about her schedule for the next week cases. She works with the county outreach program that helps adults with mental disabilites and helps guide them with their finances, since many are out on their own. It is a very difficult job that requires so much patience. She is such a dear! (Update) My lovely niece is married now with a wonderful husband and beautiful little boy.
It was overcast in the morning, but soon the clouds broke up and it was wonderfully warm. My sister and I walked a very long distance in the sand to get our morning workout. We enjoyed it since not too many people were out yet.
Make sure to stop by here first and say Howdy to the lovely ladies in the Vistor Center:-)!
- Pros:Lots to see and do, one the prettiest beaches
- Cons:Pricey and parking is hard to find
- In a nutshell:Lots of beautiful beaches with wonderful walkways for all.
Ole Kirk Christiansen was a danish wood toy marker. He started making his toys in Billund Demark in 1932. He named his... more travel advice
This is was a really neat experience for me since I have never been to a Irish Pub. I tried some Irish brews, which I... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Carlsbad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Carlsbad, California--North of San Diego"
- "Village by the Sea"
- "Beautiful Village By the Sea"
- "Birthday get together "A VT Meeting""
- "Carlsbad known as the "Village by the Sea""
- "San Diego North County"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Carlsbad
- Hotels in Carlsbad
- Transportation in Carlsbad
- Nightlife in Carlsbad
- Restaurants in Carlsbad
- Shopping in Carlsbad
- Warnings and Dangers in Carlsbad
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Carlsbad
- 17 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Carlsbad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Carlsbad
Photos in CarlsbadSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 290 reviews, 1091 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 95 reviews, 345 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 308 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos