"Calico Ghost Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Calico by Yaqui
Calico Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 137 photos
Calico’s name was derived for the many colors that King Mountain possessed with its blue, red, gray, green, vermilion, brown, and yellow rock. Perched high against King Mountain, Calico Ghost Town has experienced way too often, what fires do to old mining towns. Luckily, for Calico, it keeps alive by those who see her as a living institution that continues to tell her colorful stories and educate many of us what it must have been like to live among the fiery days of the desert sun and survive the bone chilling evenings.
Calico prospered when silver was discovered. Once the mine started to go bust, approximately $86 million worth of silver was found in King Mountain from 1881-1896. Yet, borate was still lucrative and about $45 million worth was mined till 1929. She boasted at one time having at least 20 saloons, several red light districts, merchants, restaurants, hotels, and even a China Town. Her population almost exceeded 1,200 souls. Oh, let us not forget the famous four-legged postal carrier who brought mail to the vast mining camps that graced all around King Mountain.
Calico Ghost Town
Back in the 1950’s Walter Knott of Knott’s Berry Farm in Buena Park, Ca. bought this unforgotten gem. He supposedly moved some of the actual buildings to the amusement park to help his wifes’ restaurant business. Yet, Calico was obviously never out of the picture because he later decided to bring Calico back to the hey day it once knew. He recreated some of the buildings lost to years of fires and to preserve the ones still standing. Then in 1960’s he donated it to County of San Bernardino and now she still echo’s the times of the past for all of us to enjoy.
I remember the first time I visited with a bunch of friends who rode here on our motorcycles way back in the late 1970’s and how neat I thought it was to actually be part of something that was really authentic of the old west. I am glad I have shared that with my boys now, so they can have a better appreciation of the by-gone era. Too many people may think this is a tourist trap, but it is up to you to take it for what its worth. I found fun and it was very educational. Especially, since the park was celebrating Halloween, so they had the whole park decorated. Kids to adults had their costumes and could trick or treat to each of the buildings. Calico has many themes so everyone can enjoy it through out the whole year!!
Behind this sign is the State Historical Marker
Historical Maker # 782
Tumbleweed is Gone
~Lay me down on the hillside at Calico
Where the desert winds sweep by
Where in row upon row of little brown tents
My former, companions lie
With only the sand for a blanket
Instead of a flower strewn sod
My body shall rest from its labors
When my spirit has gone out to God
I tramped these hills in the sunshine
On the desert I'd live and die
Let me rest on the hillside at Calico
Where the desert winds sweep by~
This is etched on the back of his handsome tombstone.
Calico Cemetery These are real people, not some made up tourist attraction.
- Pros:Fun and educational!
- Cons:You have to deal with Interstate 15 can be challenging!
- In a nutshell:Worth the time!
This is something I did not know was here, because in the past it wasn't...lol! I thought this would be neat to stay at... more travel advice
Just wanted everyone to know that is might be wise to wear some shoes with good tread and that is because some areas... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Calico Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Calico Ghost Town"
- "Calico Ghost Town - Historical Landmark #782"
- "Calico ghost town"
- "Sand, snakes & old mines"
- "Calico near Hollis"
- "Calico Ghost Town, California"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Calico
- Hotels in Calico
- Transportation in Calico
- Restaurants in Calico
- Shopping in Calico
- Warnings and Dangers in Calico
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Calico
- 19 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Calico?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Calico
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 278 reviews, 992 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 101 reviews, 331 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 93 reviews, 248 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 58 reviews, 249 photos