"Bridgeport" Bridgeport by Yaqui

Bridgeport Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 25 photos

A Wonderful Little Town:-)

Located up in the beautiful High Sierra's, it was discovered and loved by miners and cattlemen since the 1850's for its pristine beautiful and vast pastures. It’s from here that many of the most beautiful forest, lakes, rivers, streams and hot springs are located nearby. Vacationers from all over venture here to enjoy the quiet and beauty. Bridgeport became the main county seat in 1841 for the whole Mono County. It was named after Mono Lake in 1852 by the local Native Americans the Moonachie’s “Fly people".

Lush Grassy Farm Land

We stayed here once since Bodie has no services. The first time we passed thru here we had baby Nick at the time, so staying in a hotel seemed a little more inviting. We stayed at the Ruby Red Inn, which is part of the Best Western. It was nice and clean and my little toddler of a son at the time, loved to explore every inch of the room we stayed at. We drove back here after venturing thru Bodie and took another adventure around the historical town.

Bridgeport

John C. Fremont had frequent this wonderful area along with his guide Kit Carson. They camped in Bridgeport Valley before continuing on to cross the Sierra and arrive at Sutter’s Fort on March 8, 1844. Now it is a nature lover's dream. The area boast some the finest fishing, hiking, biking, camping, and endless access to mountaineering. Sawtooth Mountain range has been a favorite since the 1890's.

If your interested in exploring a old ghost town, then Bodie is the place for you. Gold was discovered there in 1859. She boasted at one time a population of 10,000 in 1879. She survived several fires, although she was eventually abondon in the 1940's. She is now enjoyed and cherished as a State Historic Park. To see Bodie, head south on US Highway 395. After traveling seven miles south, follow the signs east about 13 miles to Bodie State Park.

• Pros:Just Beautiful and peaceful!
  • Cons:Have car, motorcyle, or bus you will travel far!
  • In a nutshell:A very very beautiful place to visit.
  • Intro Updated Sep 13, 2009

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Looks lovely, like the Victorian houses :)

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2013 at 7:15 AM

What a nice page Dee!! I've driven 395 a couple of times but never saw Bridgeport! Next time maybe. :-) Thanks for the tour!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
      Sep 12, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Thank you Linda for visiting. Bridgeport has so much charm and some of the gems are hidden. Thanks again!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Dee, I love the wooden Victorian architecture of the Courthouse and the Hotel!

• MD2nd's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Dee, Thank you so much! - I love that Victorian Hotel you described. If I was to make it there I def. would take that one.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2010 at 3:49 AM

Cannot believe my last visit to these pages was 2004! Excellent photographs, Dee! I love the architecture. I would love to see this place. Fascinating. Thanks for sharing another little known place.

• trvlrtom's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2010 at 10:46 AM

I haven't been to this area in over 10 years - hope to get back there soon, but I'm always drawn to the central coast. Love the ocean!

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2009 at 11:03 AM

I love the scenary picture on your homepage! And the courhouse is beautiful. Another fabulous page!

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Another of your lovely page with beautiful photographs. The County Courthouse certainly looks amazing! ~ho & pang

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2009 at 10:31 PM

I may have passed in Bridgport when going to Bodie but as we had nothing to shop, I do not remember of anything! Thanks to remind.

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Another town to add to my list of places to see.

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Badges & Stats in Bridgeport

Have you been to Bridgeport?

Latest Activity in Bridgeport