"Bridgeport" Bridgeport by Yaqui
Bridgeport Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 25 photos
Located up in the beautiful High Sierra's, it was discovered and loved by miners and cattlemen since the 1850's for its pristine beautiful and vast pastures. It’s from here that many of the most beautiful forest, lakes, rivers, streams and hot springs are located nearby. Vacationers from all over venture here to enjoy the quiet and beauty. Bridgeport became the main county seat in 1841 for the whole Mono County. It was named after Mono Lake in 1852 by the local Native Americans the Moonachie’s “Fly people".
We stayed here once since Bodie has no services. The first time we passed thru here we had baby Nick at the time, so staying in a hotel seemed a little more inviting. We stayed at the Ruby Red Inn, which is part of the Best Western. It was nice and clean and my little toddler of a son at the time, loved to explore every inch of the room we stayed at. We drove back here after venturing thru Bodie and took another adventure around the historical town.
John C. Fremont had frequent this wonderful area along with his guide Kit Carson. They camped in Bridgeport Valley before continuing on to cross the Sierra and arrive at Sutter’s Fort on March 8, 1844. Now it is a nature lover's dream. The area boast some the finest fishing, hiking, biking, camping, and endless access to mountaineering. Sawtooth Mountain range has been a favorite since the 1890's.
If your interested in exploring a old ghost town, then Bodie is the place for you. Gold was discovered there in 1859. She boasted at one time a population of 10,000 in 1879. She survived several fires, although she was eventually abondon in the 1940's. She is now enjoyed and cherished as a State Historic Park. To see Bodie, head south on US Highway 395. After traveling seven miles south, follow the signs east about 13 miles to Bodie State Park.
- Pros:Just Beautiful and peaceful!
- Cons:Have car, motorcyle, or bus you will travel far!
- In a nutshell:A very very beautiful place to visit.
We were going to stay at this hotel after we explored Bodie, but didn't only because we decided to drive home after... more travel advice
Plaque Reads: On this site stood the original site of Bridgeport Chronicle – Union newspaper in 1880 while still... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Bridgeport Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Bridgeport
- 10 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (201)
Have you been to Bridgeport?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bridgeport
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 290 reviews, 1093 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 95 reviews, 345 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 308 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos