"Bodie State Historical Park 1859" Top 5 Page for this destination Bodie State Historic Park by Yaqui

Bodie State Historic Park Travel Guide: 95 reviews and 226 photos

Something everyone must visit:-)

Updated - We revisited Bodie and they were celebrating 150 years with a food, music, events, and so many dressed in authentic attire.

The town inherited it name from William S. Body, yeah I know, not the same spelling, but the towns’ folk wanted to insure it was supposedly pronounced right according to historians. Gold was discovered here in 1859 by Mr. Body. By 1879 during it most notorious hey day, it boasted a population of ten thousand and 2,000 buildings. Can you imagine what had transpired with having 65 saloons? Killing after killing from gun and fist fights from all the liquor that had to be brewed constantly due to the demand. Let’s not forget what goes up must come down, for instance all those dang stay bullets that probably found many unlucky victims. Let’s not forget to mention the bad men that were lured here by Gold that found it lucrative to live here.

Still as little as four years time, the mining was drying up and the gold mining companies were going bust. Like the saying goes, “when it rains it pours”, the town was ravaged by two fires that only left behind 5 percent of its original buildings and was a ghost town by the 1940’s. It became a state historic park in 1962 and maintained in a state of "arrested decay", so lucky tourist like my self can see what it was like to live back then. I am still amazed how we ever survived the test of time.

California’s Abandoned Mines "Stay Out - Stay Alive!"

Dusty and dry

For many years I have had this really neat book that illustrates where many of the historical places and parks are. It is broke down by divisions according to west coast, mid west, and east coast. It gives where and when the places are open and located. It gives a brief history or information about the place so you can decide if you want to visit it. For years I looked and dreamed of visited some of the neat places. In fact, my book has fallen apart and I keep it together with tape and staples….lol! It was published by Readers Digest, since then I have purchased another, but it’s not as good.

Bodie was one of those places I wished to visit. When Nick was only one year old we set out on an adventure with baby in tow. We visited Bodie, Columbia, Yosemite, drove thru the High Sierras, Bridgeport, Donner National Park, and drove all around Lake Tahoe. Nick just went with the flow and made our trip fantastic. Unfortunately, Nate was not so patient due to his autism so the adventures stopped for awhile. Now that he is older, he loves to explore and seems to appreciate all the places we go now, so Yippy!

Saddest Little Angel

I have seen this for years in books and postcards. To finally see and touch the Saddest Little Angel was amazing to me. She is someones little guardian that is never going to leave her charges side.

This is a great page:
Bodie

• Pros:Its a perfect illustration of how our poineers lived.
  • Cons:No Services, other than restrooms.
  • In a nutshell:History trapped in time!
  • Last visit to Bodie State Historic Park: Dec 2008
  • Intro Updated Oct 17, 2009

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Excellent page! I would love to come here and have a look around, my kind of place!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2012 at 3:23 AM

Great page on Bodie State Park. It is so wonderful that all those historical buildings have been lovingly restored.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2011 at 10:50 AM

It was interesting to read about the history of Bodie. Nice that they were celebrating 150 years when you revisited and that you could see the the old town with people dressed in authentic clothes.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2011 at 1:15 PM

I've driven past Bodie, but your page makes me wish I had stopped! Thanks Dee for all your work here. I won't drive past next time!

• kris-t's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Great page and unique place!
    Glad to hear that our Paris page is helpful, thanks for your kind comment.

• ncfg's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2011 at 3:24 AM

Very nice page Dee. I loved the houses.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Hi Dee. Wow! Great page! :o) I just love those cute pioneer houses :o) Our ones are built mainly of limestone. Interesting :o) Cheers, Ann.

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2010 at 4:49 AM

thanks, great page about a park I did not know at all.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Marvelous page, Dee.What a history lesson, and you know I love this kind of place. The Saddest Little Angel is so sweet. You always do such unique places that I find a delight to read about and to view.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Fascinating place! This is the first I've heard of Bodie State Historic Park, but it certainly looks like an interesting place to visit!

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Badges & Stats in Bodie State Historic Park

Have you been to Bodie State Historic Park?

Photos in Bodie State Historic Park