"Bodie State Historical Park 1859" Top 5 Page for this destination Bodie State Historic Park by Yaqui
Bodie State Historic Park Travel Guide: 97 reviews and 239 photos
Updated - We revisited Bodie and they were celebrating 150 years with a food, music, events, and so many dressed in authentic attire.
The town inherited it name from William S. Body, yeah I know, not the same spelling, but the towns? folk wanted to insure it was supposedly pronounced right according to historians. Gold was discovered here in 1859 by Mr. Body. By 1879 during it most notorious hey day, it boasted a population of ten thousand and 2,000 buildings. Can you imagine what had transpired with having 65 saloons? Killing after killing from gun and fist fights from all the liquor that had to be brewed constantly due to the demand. Let?s not forget what goes up must come down, for instance all those dang stay bullets that probably found many unlucky victims. Let?s not forget to mention the bad men that were lured here by Gold that found it lucrative to live here.
Still as little as four years time, the mining was drying up and the gold mining companies were going bust. Like the saying goes, ?when it rains it pours?, the town was ravaged by two fires that only left behind 5 percent of its original buildings and was a ghost town by the 1940?s. It became a state historic park in 1962 and maintained in a state of "arrested decay", so lucky tourist like my self can see what it was like to live back then. I am still amazed how we ever survived the test of time.
California?s Abandoned Mines "Stay Out - Stay Alive!"
For many years I have had this really neat book that illustrates where many of the historical places and parks are. It is broke down by divisions according to west coast, mid west, and east coast. It gives where and when the places are open and located. It gives a brief history or information about the place so you can decide if you want to visit it. For years I looked and dreamed of visited some of the neat places. In fact, my book has fallen apart and I keep it together with tape and staples?.lol! It was published by Readers Digest, since then I have purchased another, but it?s not as good.
Bodie was one of those places I wished to visit. When Nick was only one year old we set out on an adventure with baby in tow. We visited Bodie, Columbia, Yosemite, drove thru the High Sierras, Bridgeport, Donner National Park, and drove all around Lake Tahoe. Nick just went with the flow and made our trip fantastic. Unfortunately, Nate was not so patient due to his autism so the adventures stopped for awhile. Now that he is older, he loves to explore and seems to appreciate all the places we go now, so Yippy!
I have seen this for years in books and postcards. To finally see and touch the Saddest Little Angel was amazing to me. She is someones little guardian that is never going to leave her charges side.
This is a great page:
- Pros:Its a perfect illustration of how our poineers lived.
- Cons:No Services, other than restrooms.
- In a nutshell:History trapped in time!
The plaque reads: Site of the first major gold rush to the eastern slope of California's Sierra Nevada, Dog Town derived... more travel advice
Located off of Main Street. IOOF used the upper floor of this building. The lodge was instituted March 11, 1878, by the... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Bodie State Historic Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bodie State Historical Park 1859"
- "Bodie, once a busy city!"
- "Only the Rangers Remain..."
- "Low on Gas, not on Ghosts: Bodie"
- "Pioneer Days the hard way"
- "Good! By God, I'm Going To Bodie!"
- "Roundtrip USA : part 7 The ghosttown Bodie"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bodie State Historic Park
- Hotels in Bodie State Historic Park
- Transportation in Bodie State Historic Park
- Nightlife in Bodie State Historic Park
- Restaurants in Bodie State Historic Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Bodie State Historic Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bodie State Historic Park
- 23 Reviews
- 85 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (219)
Have you been to Bodie State Historic Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bodie State Historic Park
- Posted in Travel Long Beach Forum "Re: Where to stay?"
- updated a Bodie State Historic Park Travel Page "Bodie State Historical Park 1859"
- Commented on one of Yaqui's Bodie State Historic Park videos
- Uploaded a Video to Bodie State Historic Park
- Uploaded a Photo to "Dog Town California Historical Marker#792"
- Wrote a Review Dog Town California Historical Marker#792 in Bodie State Historic Park Things to Do
Photos in Bodie State Historic ParkSee All Photos (85)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 300 reviews, 1153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 99 reviews, 380 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 111 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 83 reviews, 321 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos