"~Bishop~" Top 5 Page for this destination Bishop by Yaqui
Bishop Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 131 photos
Named after Samuel Addison Bishop who arrived into Owens Valley in 1861 through Tehachapi mountains with his wife, hired hands, and livestock. He was the first white settler in the valley. He established a San Francis Ranch along the creek that was later called Bishop Creek.
Bishop grew and prospered from the need of beef for the settlers and miners. More cattle ranches settled due to the vast fertile valley of Owen Valley.
Mount Morrison right stands at 12268 ft elevation and named after a Benton merchant Robert Morrison, a merchant that was part of a posse that was chasing convicts from the Nevada State Penitentiary. He died near hence, Convict Lake in 1871. Mono Jim Peak 10,669 ft is on the left, he was an Native American guide who tracked the convicts and was killed also.
- Pros:Lots of wonderful shops, restaurants, & activities~
- Cons:Hwy 395 runs thru it! Be careful~
- In a nutshell:The Great Outdoors~
Bishop Creek recreation area is a vast area where any nature lover can enjoy. There is a vast array of camping, RVing,... more travel advice
West of this spot, gold was discovered in the Pine Creek drainage by Civil War veterans. It was not until April, 1916,... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Bishop Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bishop - Confluence of Rednecks and Mountain Folk"
- "Bishop - Portal to the Outdoors"
- "CALIFORNIA HWY 395 SWEET SPOT, BISHOP"
- "Bishop, on Highway 395"
- "Small tourist town with great hiking"
- "Desert, Ice, Water & Snow"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bishop
- Hotels in Bishop
- Transportation in Bishop
- Nightlife in Bishop
- Restaurants in Bishop
- Shopping in Bishop
- Warnings and Dangers in Bishop
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bishop
- 9 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Bishop?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bishop
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 287 reviews, 1078 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 105 reviews, 346 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 59 reviews, 254 photos