"Big Pine" Big Pine by Yaqui
Big Pine Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 44 photos
Big Pine received its name after a row of Yellow Pines that ran the length of Big Pine Creek to the river. Sadly all were cut down, except for one, hence the name “Big Pine.” It too was sadly cut down, but hope was restored to its name sake when in 1913 a big pine was planted at the end of town called the Roosevelt Tree.
Big Pine Recreation information kiosk is at the north end of town on Hwy 395. It is at the entrance of the Eastern Sierra Scenic Byway and the entrance of the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest that is home of the oldest living things in the world, the Bristlecone Pine trees.
The 80 foot tall flagpole proudly displays the "Stars and Stripes" with the California State Flag and POW/MIA Flag bordering either side. The Veteran's Memorial stands in tribute to those who have made sacrifices to ensure our freedom and to remind visitors of our great American heritage.
On top of the Veterans Memorial is a wonderful etched plates that illustrates the whole mountain range in front of you. The ranges start from the left to right. If look just below some of the higher peak and see snow still, these are glaciers. These are part of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range.
Goodale Mountain 12,772
Mount Tinnemaha 12,520
Split Mountain 14,042
Birch Mountain 13,602
The Thumb 13,356
Kid Mountain 11,689
Mount Jepson 13,104
Palisade Glacier is the largest glacier in the Sierra Nevada, with an area of 0.8 km2
Mount Sill 14,153
Mount Alice 11,614
Piper Peak 8,087
Sky Haven 12,848
Round Mountain 10,928
- Pros:The outdoors lovers dream!
- Cons:Some services, not many.
- In a nutshell:Where the oldest living trees in the world!
This little establishment will catch your eye while you travel thru town. It caught my eye, I just had to stop and look... more travel advice
The plaque reads: Camp Independence needed a road to Waucopa-Deep Springs. In 1873 J.S. Scott Broder completed this... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Big Pine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BIG PINE - GATEWAY TO MUCH TALLER HEIGHTS"
- "Big Pine"
- "Big Pine - Gateway to the largest glacier in SoCal"
- "Gateway to the White Mountains"
- "Mighty big mountains, mighty small town"
- "BIG PINE, CALIFORNIA"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Big Pine
- 6 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Big Pine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Big Pine
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 256 reviews, 894 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 97 reviews, 418 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 100 reviews, 326 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 90 reviews, 305 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 81 reviews, 300 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 93 reviews, 207 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 224 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (115)
Latest Big Pine hotel reviews
- Big Pine Motel
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 11, 2013