Baker Things to Do Tips by Yaqui Top 5 Page for this destination
Baker Things to Do: 9 reviews and 14 photos
It reads: "The Mohave Indians used a network of pathways to cross the Mojave Desert. In 1826, American trapper Jedediah Smith used their paths and became the first non-Indian to reach the California coast overland from mid-America. The paths were worked into a military wagon road in 1859. This 'Mojave Road' remained a major link between Los Angeles and points east until a railway crossed the desert in 1885."
Address: Midway Rest Area, N-bound I-15
Directions: Located at the Clyde V Kane rest area, 30 mi NE of Barstow
UPDATE - These lovely signs have been moved just outside of Baker to the North entrance into the Mojave National Preserve. Now, there is a Market and Gift Store in the old park service building.
It’s kind of sad because for many years the National Park Service operated a desert information center in Baker. The center was closed in March 2006, and the staff moved to the refurbished railroad depot in Kelso. The information signs for the park use to be next to the "World's tallest thermometer” and Bob Big Boy!)
Address: West offramp
Directions: Near I-15, Exit 246
Mojave National Preserve is a 1.6 million acre park in the Mojave Desert. This is a Mecca for camping, hiking or to enjoy the pure beauty of the desert. You will see Pinyon-Juniper, Joshua Trees, Big Sagebrush, Cactus Yucca, Creosote Bush, Blackbrush scrubs, and Lava Fields. You can get more info in Barstow.
Yet be warned, this can be some harsh land during the very hot summers months. Make sure you gas your vehicles up, have plenty of water for yourself, pets and your vehicle, proper clothing and maps. Know where you are at, at all times. There is a sign just outside of Baker near the entrance that states services are 76 miles away. So be prepared.
From Baker to Kelso it’s about 34 miles and from Kelso to Interstate 40 its about 23 miles. From Interstate 40 going east to Fenner is about 30 miles and going west to Ludlow is about 30 miles.
Address: 2701 Barstow Road, Barstow, Ca 92311
Directions: On Interstate 15 North Entrance or Interstate 40 South Entrance
Baker has to have one of the most distinct must see sight seeing touristy attraction....TA..DA....."World's tallest thermometer”, measuring 134-foot (41m). Plus, its height commemorates the hottest temperature ever recorded in the United States, 134°F (56.6°C), measured in nearby Death Valley in 1913. Baker reached a temperature of 124°F (51.1°C) in the summer of 1980.
Address: 72155 Baker Blvd, Baker, CA
Directions: Near I-15, Exit 246. You cannot miss it, but it is right next door to Bob's Big Boy!!
Yaqui's Related Pages
Baker Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "mafootje's new Baker Page"
- "It's a rest stop for many"
- "Baker - California - USA"
- "Gypsy_King's new Baker Page"
- "Mirella's Baker Page"
- "Only one reason to stop....GYROS!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Baker
- Hotels in Baker
- Transportation in Baker
- Nightlife in Baker
- Restaurants in Baker
- Shopping in Baker
- Warnings and Dangers in Baker
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lake Logan State Park Hotels
- Saint Feriole Island Hotels
- Catskill State Park Hotels
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Henning Island Hotels
- Red Wing
Badges & Stats in Baker
- 7 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (104)
Have you been to Baker?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Baker
Photos in BakerSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 278 reviews, 992 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 101 reviews, 331 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 93 reviews, 248 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 58 reviews, 249 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (121)
Latest Baker hotel reviews
- Bun Boy Motel
- 1 Review & Opinion