"Baker" Top 5 Page for this destination Baker by Yaqui

Baker Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 82 photos

Did I say it gets hot here?!!!

Let me say something, VT has been a wonderful outlet to explore and share my travels. I like to think the people in VT are here for the fun in sharing their experiences good or bad. Yet, we do have a right to our opinions and that is why our country is so great!

Named after R.C. Baker, railroad president, Baker is a very small community most travelers will find on its way to and from Las Vegas. It is has become a little oasis in the vast desert that many find themselves having to stop for either, rest, gas, food, or just to relax from the extreme temperatures. Bakers signs says its just a little over 600 residence. I've visited Baker a numerous occasions and like to think I find the positive in every little town and as it turns out I am right. These little gems are neccessary to the weary travelerl. Believe me I know, I grew up on Route 66 and very well know how important these town are too us who still travel using our trusty automobilies. Heck, I have run into fellow co-workers in Baker either heading out from Vegas, while we were heading in....lol. Sometimes the reststops along the Interstate 15 are closed so this town is needed.

Baker has to have one of the most distinct must see sight seeing touristy attraction....TA..DA....."World's tallest thermometer”, measuring 134-foot (41m). Plus, its height commemorates the hottest temperature ever recorded in the United States, 134°F (56.6°C), measured in nearby Death Valley in 1913. Baker reached a temperature of 124°F (51.1°C) in the summer of 1980." Yet, people still need to stop to refresh or gas up and Baker is more than happy to accommodate.

California Historical Markers

California Historical Marker NO. 963 The Mojave Road. At the north bound reststop from Barstow, Ca. to Baker, Ca. on the way to Las Vegas, NV.

Got eggs?....cooking is free here during the summer!

• Pros:Has much to offer to the weary traveler.
  • Cons:No hotels and its gets really hot here!
  • In a nutshell:You gotta see the World Tallest Thermometer
  • Intro Updated Feb 16, 2014

• wabat's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2014 at 5:30 AM

Somewhere hotter than Australia this year! Enjoyable page. "like to think I find the positive in every little town and as it turns out I am right" - I aim to do the same - great approach to travel.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Love the thermometer and what soaring temperatures 51.1°C!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2013 at 10:33 PM

A big thermometer for big temperatures!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
      Feb 7, 2013 at 7:14 PM

You can see it from the Interstate 15. It needs some TLC, but still neat to see up close. Thanks for stoppying by!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Wow! That is one big thermometer.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Hi Dee, Traveling to Vegas and I have stopped in Barstow many times and it has been a long time since I stopped in Baker, but always looked over at the thermometer while cruisin' by at 95 with radar detector on. The Mad Greek and Bob's Big Boy are a couple I will now have to consider next time on that stretch of desert and will stop in Baker. Thanks for the tips. :-)

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2009 at 1:39 PM

I have missed the tallest thermometer but was not far from Baker in Summer 1980 and, yes, it was pretty hot!

• MD2nd's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2009 at 5:30 AM

Gee..see these eggs!!! Oh Dee, thank you so much for your touching words, and for keeping up to care about me, and putting smiles in my heart.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Nice page Dee with some unusual things to do = I would believe the thermometer - but too hot for me!!

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2009 at 10:24 AM

I love the thermometer! 134 sounds really hot. 116 is the hottest that we have ever experienced.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2009 at 9:10 AM

I missed Baker on my drive between Vegas and CA... we took the Death Valley route instead! Nice little page.

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Badges & Stats in Baker