"Baker" Top 5 Page for this destination Baker by Yaqui
Baker Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 82 photos
Let me say something, VT has been a wonderful outlet to explore and share my travels. I like to think the people in VT are here for the fun in sharing their experiences good or bad. Yet, we do have a right to our opinions and that is why our country is so great!
Named after R.C. Baker, railroad president, Baker is a very small community most travelers will find on its way to and from Las Vegas. It is has become a little oasis in the vast desert that many find themselves having to stop for either, rest, gas, food, or just to relax from the extreme temperatures. Bakers signs says its just a little over 600 residence. I've visited Baker a numerous occasions and like to think I find the positive in every little town and as it turns out I am right. These little gems are neccessary to the weary travelerl. Believe me I know, I grew up on Route 66 and very well know how important these town are too us who still travel using our trusty automobilies. Heck, I have run into fellow co-workers in Baker either heading out from Vegas, while we were heading in....lol. Sometimes the reststops along the Interstate 15 are closed so this town is needed.
Baker has to have one of the most distinct must see sight seeing touristy attraction....TA..DA....."World's tallest thermometer”, measuring 134-foot (41m). Plus, its height commemorates the hottest temperature ever recorded in the United States, 134°F (56.6°C), measured in nearby Death Valley in 1913. Baker reached a temperature of 124°F (51.1°C) in the summer of 1980." Yet, people still need to stop to refresh or gas up and Baker is more than happy to accommodate.
California Historical Marker NO. 963 The Mojave Road. At the north bound reststop from Barstow, Ca. to Baker, Ca. on the way to Las Vegas, NV.
- Pros:Has much to offer to the weary traveler.
- Cons:No hotels and its gets really hot here!
- In a nutshell:You gotta see the World Tallest Thermometer
These plaques reads: Marl Springs was named in 1854 by Army Surveyor Lt. Amiel Whipple for the clay-like soil around the... more travel advice
This place stands out most certainly. Seems it gets bad and good reviews on the internet. I know some places I may like,... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Baker Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "mafootje's new Baker Page"
- "It's a rest stop for many"
- "Baker - California - USA"
- "Gypsy_King's new Baker Page"
- "Mirella's Baker Page"
- "Only one reason to stop....GYROS!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Baker
- Hotels in Baker
- Transportation in Baker
- Nightlife in Baker
- Restaurants in Baker
- Shopping in Baker
- Warnings and Dangers in Baker
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Baker
- 9 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Baker?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Baker
Photos in BakerSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 287 reviews, 1078 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 105 reviews, 346 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 59 reviews, 254 photos