"Avalon~Catalina Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Avalon by Yaqui
Avalon Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 404 photos
Once home of the Pimugnans or Pimuvit Native Americans who called the island Pimugna or Pimu. The Spanish explorer Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo became the first European to visit the island in 1542. In 1846, shortly before the United States assumed control of California and its islands, the Mexican government granted ownership of the island to a private citizen. In the late 1880s owner George Shatto embarked on a campaign to turn Catalina Island into a tourist destination, planning and building the town of Avalon as the focal point of the island and hub of this activity.
Settlers on Catalina Island raised sheep and cattle in the mid 1800s, introducing a ranching industry that continued in some form until the mid 1950s. The island is 22 miles long and 8 miles across at its greatest width. The island is located about 22 miles south-southwest of Los Angeles, California. The highest point on the island is 2,097 feet Mt. Orizaba.
We ventured into this wonderful gallery. Sorry, no photography allowed of course in the gallery. My hubby ended up... more travel advice
This marker reads: Fifty years in radio In Memoray of The Worlds First Sea Going Disc Jockey Carl "Mr. Big"... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Avalon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Avalon~Catalina Island"
- ""26 miles across the sea""
- "Kristara's new Avalon Page"
- "Catalina Island"
- "Avalon on Catalina Island"
- "Gypsy_King's new Avalon Page"
- "Alluring Avalon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Avalon
- Hotels in Avalon
- Transportation in Avalon
- Nightlife in Avalon
- Restaurants in Avalon
- Shopping in Avalon
- Warnings and Dangers in Avalon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Avalon
- 37 Reviews
- 158 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (198)
Have you been to Avalon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Avalon
Photos in AvalonSee All Photos (158)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 290 reviews, 1093 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 95 reviews, 345 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 308 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos