"~Arcadia~Route 66" Top 5 Page for this destination Arcadia by Yaqui
Arcadia Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 86 photos
Arcadia’s first settlers were the Tongva/Gabrielino Native Americans who date back at least 7,000 years, and many of their earlier beginnings where recorded by the missions that settled in this area and archeological sites. The Spanish government deeded 13,000 acres of land to its first white settler Mr. Hugo Reid who established ranges for grazing cattle and building the first adobe, thus becoming Rancho Santa Anita. Passing through many hands, Elias Lucky Baldwin, a gold investor eventually became the next land owner of 8,000 acres who was drawn to the lush green rolling hills dotted with oak trees and declared it paradise. Settlers moved in establishing orchards, farms, and ranches.
Santa Anita reopened its doors Christmas day in 1934 due to a new group of investors, one of them Doc Strub, he wanted to take advantage of California's legalized pari-mutuel wagering, The building was built in beautiful art deco style by architect Gordon B. Kaufman. Many historical events has happened over the past, the first is when Seabiscuit who won Santa Anita’s Handicap.
During Saturday or Sundays they have family day. It is held in the center of the track filled with rides, games, and many more entertainment. Entrance for kids and the carnival rides are free! Nate loved soaring like Peter Pan~
- Pros:Beautiful architecture, grounds, Horses and nice people!
- Cons:Language by some and maybe too much cheer!
- In a nutshell:Still a great family day and excitement!
My boys love this restaurant and we're pretty much a fan of them too. You get your monies worth and will not break the... more travel advice
Although, they have many Concession stands all over the park, they have also a really nice restaurant Frontrunner.... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Arcadia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "~Arcadia~Route 66"
- "Beautiful Town next door to Pasadena"
- "The Legacy of Lucky Baldwin"
- "Gypsy_King's new Arcadia Page"
- "Arcadia Page"
- "Arcadia... Suburbia California Style"
- "falicia2000's new Arcadia Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arcadia
- Hotels in Arcadia
- Transportation in Arcadia
- Nightlife in Arcadia
- Restaurants in Arcadia
- Shopping in Arcadia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Arcadia
- 10 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (201)
Have you been to Arcadia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arcadia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 290 reviews, 1093 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 99 reviews, 377 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 111 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 83 reviews, 321 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos