"Alpine" Alpine by Yaqui
Alpine Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 32 photos
The first to live here were the Kumeyaay people who found this place to be abundant of water sources, mild climate, and good hunting. By 1782, Spanish explorers would pass through this area and eventually settled here building their vast rancho's. The Don Jose Antonio Aguirre family owned over 8,000 acres of it 1848. By 1857 a mail & passenger route was established by San Antonio & San Diego Mail Lines. Sadly this business ended by 1860, but the wagons of pioneers kept streaming in and the first post office was established by Henry J. Whitney, which was later sold to Charlie Emery.
George Washington Web built the Julian-to-Banner Toll Road, which was completed in 1871. A year later, Mr. Webb and his family moved into his "Alpine Ranch", in what is now called Harbison Canyon. By 1885 the community began to grow. In 1874, John Stewart Harbison was the premier apiarist and producer of honey in California. Harbison settled in Alpine and became by far this county's leading beekeeper.
Captain Adam Beaty, who came to Alpine in 1869, who had a homesteaded on Tavern Road. He was a School Board Trustee. Edward and Caroline Foss arrived with two small sons in Alpine in 1876 and would add four more to the family. Mrs. Fosses sister Dr. Sophronia Nichols, came to Alpine in 1888 and established a practice as Alpine's first doctor.
Soon by the 1890's this area became a place for the San Diegians to escape the city life for the fresh air. Resorts became popular and roads improved by the 1920's. Alpine Boulevard was built as the new Highway 80, bringing more automobile traffic through town. It still holds it's country charm and invites visitors to explore such beautiful surroundings.
This very charming building is located downtown of Alphine. I always says, places like these are a wealth of... more travel advice
The John DeWitt Museum and Library s free to all its visitors and is located in the Dr. Sophronia Nichols House. They... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Alpine Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Alpine
- 7 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (212)
Have you been to Alpine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alpine
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 300 reviews, 1153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 99 reviews, 380 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 111 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 83 reviews, 321 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos