"Wupatki National Monument~" Top 5 Page for this destination Wupatki National Monument by Yaqui
Wupatki National Monument Travel Guide: 74 reviews and 326 photos
Known as "footprints” of the ancestral clans of the Hopi peoples, Wupatki was where migrating clans met and merged. From roughly 400 to 1700, culture in the Southwest—a 300,000 square mile (777,000 sq km) area—was distinguished by farming, pottery, villages, pueblos, seasonal moves, and large scale migrations. Until the mid-1100s, the landscape of Wupatki remained a “frontier” between established groups of the Sinagua, Cohonina, and Kayenta. Although this is one of driest and warmiest climates, life still flourished.
Wupatki National Monument was established by President Calvin Coolidge on December 9, 1924, to preserve Citadel and Wupatki pueblos. Monument boundaries have been adjusted several times since then, and now include additional pueblos and other archeological resources on a total of 35,422 acres.
There are several sites to enjoy within the Wupatk National Monument. Wukoki Pueblo, Wupatki Pueblo (the largest), Citadel Pueblo, Nalakihu Pueblo, and Lomaki Pueblo's (several with the Box Canyon). Some you have to walk small trail, some are steep and some have steps, so these many be too difficult with folks with disabilites.
- In a nutshell:The history of us all~
Plese stay off the walls and do not pick up pottery. This is to safely guard these ancient pueblos. Also please stay on... more travel advice
Next to The Citadel site is this marker. The plaque reads: A Village You are entering the “Citadel,” a ruin from the... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Wupatki National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wupatki National Monument"
- "Wupatki National Monument~"
- "Sinaguans at a Cultural Crossroads"
- "Wonderful Indian Ruins and History"
- "Beautiful Ruins, Stunning Landscape"
- "Ancient Civilization"
- "Visiting the Pueblos"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wupatki National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Wupatki National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wupatki National Monument
- 14 Reviews
- 68 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to Wupatki National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wupatki National Monument
- Posted in Travel Los Angeles Forum "Re: free Los Angeles photo..."
- Commented on one of Yaqui's Wupatki National Monument travel pages
- Wrote a Review For Your Safety~ in Wupatki National Monument Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "For Your Safety~"
- updated a Wupatki National Monument Travel Page "Wupatki National Monument~"
Photos in Wupatki National MonumentSee All Photos (68)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 287 reviews, 1078 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 93 reviews, 265 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 59 reviews, 254 photos