"~Tucson ~" Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson by Yaqui
Tucson Travel Guide: 956 reviews and 2,189 photos
The history of life in the Tucson Valley begins ca. 10,000 B.C. with the migrations of Paleoindian and Archaic hunters and gatherers. Whether or not there was continuous habitation is unclear, though evidence of agricultural settlements along the Santa Cruz River have been found dating from ca. 1000 B.C. Between A.D. 200 and 1450, the Hohokam culture thrives. The Pima and Tohono O'odham are the descendents of that advanced civilization, and have inhabited the region since the Hohokam decline. Around 1540 the Coronado Expedition crosses Arizona in search of the "Seven Cities of Gold."
Father Francisco Kino establishes the Mission San Xavier del Bac in 1699. It won't be until 1797 that it will be completed. The Mission San Agustin, a "visita" of San Xavier, is established on the west bank of the Santa Cruz River in 1757. The construction of the mission and the convento is completed in 1790's.
In 1775, Hugo O'Conor establishes the Tucson Presido. This year marks the official birthdate of the City of Tucson. Tucson becomes part of Mexico when it fights for independence in 1821. After the Gadsden Purchase in 1854, Tucson falls under the jurisdiction of the United States. Arizona becomes an official territory in 1863. Between 1867 and 1877, Tucson holds the title of territorial capitol. In 1880, the Southern Pacific Railroad reaches Tucson. The population reaches 8,000. Arizona becomes the 48th state in the Union in 1912.
Marist College was built in 1915 as a boys Catholic school and was part of the major compound of Our Lady Chapel and... more travel advice
This beautiful building was built in 1929 and was Tucson first skyscraper. From 1935-1990's it was known as the Valley... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Tucson Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Tucson Page"
- "Capitol of southern Arizona"
- "~Tucson ~"
- "A Modern City in the Old Pueblo"
- "a great place to visit, a quirky place to live"
- "Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum"
- "Tucson has it all!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tucson
- Hotels in Tucson
- Transportation in Tucson
- Nightlife in Tucson
- Restaurants in Tucson
- Shopping in Tucson
- Warnings and Dangers in Tucson
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tucson
- 39 Reviews
- 124 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (112)
Have you been to Tucson?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tucson
Photos in TucsonSee All Photos (124)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 290 reviews, 1091 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 95 reviews, 345 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 308 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos