"~Tucson ~" Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson by Yaqui

Tucson Travel Guide: 953 reviews and 2,189 photos

The history of life in the Tucson Valley begins ca. 10,000 B.C. with the migrations of Paleoindian and Archaic hunters and gatherers. Whether or not there was continuous habitation is unclear, though evidence of agricultural settlements along the Santa Cruz River have been found dating from ca. 1000 B.C. Between A.D. 200 and 1450, the Hohokam culture thrives. The Pima and Tohono O'odham are the descendents of that advanced civilization, and have inhabited the region since the Hohokam decline. Around 1540 the Coronado Expedition crosses Arizona in search of the "Seven Cities of Gold."

San Xavier del Bac

Father Francisco Kino establishes the Mission San Xavier del Bac in 1699. It won't be until 1797 that it will be completed. The Mission San Agustin, a "visita" of San Xavier, is established on the west bank of the Santa Cruz River in 1757. The construction of the mission and the convento is completed in 1790's.

Tucson Presido

In 1775, Hugo O'Conor establishes the Tucson Presido. This year marks the official birthdate of the City of Tucson. Tucson becomes part of Mexico when it fights for independence in 1821. After the Gadsden Purchase in 1854, Tucson falls under the jurisdiction of the United States. Arizona becomes an official territory in 1863. Between 1867 and 1877, Tucson holds the title of territorial capitol. In 1880, the Southern Pacific Railroad reaches Tucson. The population reaches 8,000. Arizona becomes the 48th state in the Union in 1912.

• Last visit to Tucson: Dec 2010
  • Intro Updated Oct 10, 2011

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2013 at 6:55 AM

Very impressive Tucson travel page. Lots of interesting statues and historical markers to visit and explore. Pima Air & Space Museum looks attractive to us. Thanks for sharing the page. ~ho & pang

• ncfg's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2011 at 1:56 AM

Great page Dee! I love the San Xavier del Bac Mission, it seems beautiful. xx. Nat

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2011 at 3:36 PM

A fine new page! I like the way you keep finding interesting historical markers. It’s amazing that they managed to save and restore the Fox Tucson Theatre after it had been standing empty for nearly a quarter century.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2011 at 10:39 AM

nice page, nice pictures. there 20 years ago for a wedding, never really got to see the city. obviously missed a lot. n.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Lots of great info. here!! Wish we had time to explore more when we visited the Tucson area several years ago, though we saw some of the same places. However, we were staying at a ranch and I really wanted to spend most of my time horseback riding, etc. Nice work, Dee!!

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Hi Dee, Go Wildcats!!! UofA is where I received a football scholarship. Well, the scholar part was more difficult than the football part, except for being injury free in the lecture halls. Charlie Brown, he did get around, that clown. Nice tips, too bad none are of the UofA campus. :-)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2011 at 4:01 AM

I loved Tucson when I visited years ago long before I joined VT. Your Tips are detailed, helpful, and more than interesting. I, too, enjoyed the incident about how you discovered to "follow the Blue Line". Great job.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Oh my, what have I missed when I was in the region! Tucson looks gorgeous and I like the story of how you found out about the Blue Line. But what is a murphy bed?

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Hi, Dee! Thanks for your impressive and detailed virtual tour!~ Take care!~

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Badges & Stats in Tucson