"Seligman & Route 66 - A town not forgotten" Top 5 Page for this destination Seligman by Yaqui
Seligman Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 53 photos
Founded in 1886, Prescott Junction now called Seligman by a significant New York Banker named Jesse Seligman; this junction was a significant railroad maintenance station as well as a famed Harvey Houses. Seligman was a bustling town surrounded by vast rich cattle lands that are still very prominent to this day. Seligman survived for many years till the new interstate bypassed the town. Then to make matters worse as with many of the little towns along route 66 experienced, the trains found no need to stop along these destinations and started either pulling up tracks or demolishing stations. The Harvey House located here is on the verge of experience demolition if funds cannot be raised to save her.
Yet, Seligman found hope in some locale town’s people who had Seligman to Kingman portion of old Route 66 dedicated by the State of Arizona to be as historic Route 66. This dedication will hopefully keep alive the preservation alive.
When we decided to veer off of Interstate 40, we had no clue what we were going to find in Seligman. We stopped because I had picked up a pamphlet illustrating the different significant stops of Route 66 by Historic Route 66 Association of Arizona. We were delighted to see that Seligman was making a huge effort to capture and maintain those by gone days. Many of the structures are still being maintained wonderfully and found most of people very friendly. We stopped at The Rusty Bolt and were completed amazed in how many wonderful merchandised dedicated to Route 66. What a lovely shop. We asked the lady if they were doing ok and she said they are doing just fine with so many tour buses that detour to the town so they can experience it. So that was so nice to hear the hope still thrives here.
- Pros:Route 66 still lives here and has shops and groceries
- Cons:A simple town so keep open minded and enjoy what they have to offer.
- In a nutshell:Some pretty funky shops to enjoy and experience that past.
Very sad news. I had been informed that they torn down this wonderful structure. I will keep this here for future... more travel advice
This shop has one of the funkiest store fronts I have ever seen. It immediatly catches your eye. It screams fun and come... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Seligman Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Seligman & Route 66 - A town not forgotten"
- "Basaic Seligman Page"
- ""Get Your Kicks on Route 66""
- "Seligman, on historic route 66"
- "Seligman, Arizona"
- "Gypsy_King's new Seligman Page"
- "Our Summer Home"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Seligman
- 6 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Seligman?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Seligman
- Posted in Travel Las Vegas Forum "Re: Safety (Danger)"
- Commented on one of Basaic's Seligman travel pages
- updated a Seligman Travel Page "Seligman & Route 66 - A town not forgotten"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Route 66 General Store"
- Wrote a Review The Havasu Harvery House Hotel in Seligman Off The Beaten Path
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 287 reviews, 1078 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 105 reviews, 346 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 59 reviews, 254 photos