"Quartzsite" Quartzsite by Yaqui
Quartzsite Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 28 photos
Called Tyson’s Well or Fort, this was a stage station built within protective walls in 1866 by Charley Tyson from Indians. It was an important way station on between Ehrenberg to Wickenburg due to its excellent water source for horses and the grass they could graze on. The mining companies use to haul equipment, men and military supplies from the river port of Ehrenberg, to the Territorial Capital at Prescott, also stopped here. Accommodations were very crude back then, but at least they had them. In 1897 a post office was officially established and the name was suggested by George Ingersoll to Quartzsite due to the mineral that was found in this local area.
The first camels came as caretaker Haiji Ali whose Arabic name was promptly changed to Hi Jolly by the soldiers and by this name he became universally known. His Greek name was Philip Tedro on the Beale expedition (Barstow, Ca) in 1857 to open a wagon road across Arizona from Fort Defiance to Fort Tejon State Historic Park, California. The camels under Hi Jolly charge proved their worth nevertheless. The war department abandoned the experiment and the camels were left on the Arizona desert to shift for themselves.
This is very helpful sign with location a very clever map of location. Tyson's Well Stage Station Museum 161 W. Main... more travel advice
The Red Ghost legend comes from one of Hi Jolly's free roaming camels had died and it would attack campers at night with... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Quartzsite Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Quartzsite Page"
- "Quartzsite - AZ - USA"
- "Quartzsite, Arizona"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Quartzsite
- Hotels in Quartzsite
- Restaurants in Quartzsite
- Shopping in Quartzsite
- Warnings and Dangers in Quartzsite
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Quartzsite
- 5 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to Quartzsite?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Quartzsite
Photos in QuartzsiteSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 287 reviews, 1078 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 93 reviews, 265 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 59 reviews, 254 photos