"Montezuma Castle National Momument" Top 5 Page for this destination Montezuma Castle National Monument by Yaqui
Montezuma Castle National Monument Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 160 photos
For over 400 years, the Sinagua people (two Spanish words “sin” and “agua”, which means “without water”) had made this beautiful oasis their home along Beaver Creek. Located high and practically carved into the mountainside, stands a tribute to a people who withstood the test of time and thrived here till their mysterious disappearance around 1380 or 1400. Experts assume it was due to the stress factor from prolonged drought, disease, and nutrient-depleted soil from growing corn. Yet, Native people are very connected to their lands, so for them to leave must have been something very tragic. Montezuma Castle, a pueblo ruin, that consist of 50 rooms with at least 5 levels of floor. It is the best preserved prehistoric dwellings in North America and was granted as one of our first national monuments by the Antiquities Act on December 8, 1906 by President Theodore Roosevelt.
It was one of my goals in life to see an actual pueblo ruin and it was almost unreal looking up at it from the ground. I was never so excited in seeing one for the first time. From its discovery in the 1846 by soldiers of the Mexican-American War till about 1951, visitor’s were allowed to climb the ladders to the ruins, those lucky people. Yet, no one is allowed now to preserve the ruins for other generations to enjoy. It is visited by over 350,000 people a year.
These ruins consisted a structure was at some point almost as spectacular as Castle B. It consisted of approximately 45 rooms that may had housed at least 100 people and had almost as many floors as Castle B. Sometime ago, they believed it had caught fire at one point, so it is not as nearly preserved as their neighbor’s is.
- Pros:Breath Taking!
- In a nutshell:One of the best preserved Native American structures:-)
Visitor Centers are like a museum within a museum. They not only provide a service in preserving and protecting our... more travel advice
If you are ever in the area just hiking around or in a emergency situation with a family member, park visitor centers... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Montezuma Castle National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Visit the Impressive Montezuma's Castle"
- "Montezuma Castle National Momument"
- "How they must have done that all those years ago!"
- "Medieval Arizona"
- "Montezuma Castle"
- "Hi-rise Luxury from the 1200s"
- "MONTEZUMA'S CASTLE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Montezuma Castle National Monument
- Transportation in Montezuma Castle National Monument
- Shopping in Montezuma Castle National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Montezuma Castle National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Montezuma Castle National Monument
- 11 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to Montezuma Castle National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montezuma Castle National Monument
Photos in Montezuma Castle National MonumentSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 287 reviews, 1078 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 93 reviews, 265 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 59 reviews, 254 photos