"Kingman ~Route 66" Top 5 Page for this destination Kingman by Yaqui
Kingman Travel Guide: 77 reviews and 268 photos
The first reference found of Kingman is from the Alta Arizona, a newspaper published in Mineral Park. The issue of 10 June 1882 states, "There is a new town on the tapis at or near Beale Springs."
In October 1882, the Alta Arizona refers to the sampling works at Kingman, also saying that Middleton is to be hereafter named Kingman, where in November 1882, a rooming house, stores and other buildings were going up.
By 1888 most of the original town site lots had been sold. On the north side of the Santa Fe line, on Front Street, now called Andy Devine Avenue, the business district grew, while the south side, South Front Street, now called Topeka Street, became Kingman's best district for homes. In 1919 there were seven garages, three meat markets, two drug stores, two churches, a Western Union, two lumber yards, a picture show and numerous hotels and saloons. Kingman's one industry was the Yucca Fiber Factory which made rope from the yucca plant.
Kingman had the advantage of being located on the railroad and on U.S. 66. The first airport, laid out by Charles Lindberg, was dedicated on June 8, 1929. Kingman Army Air Field, constructed in 1942.
- Pros:Preserving its history!!!
We usually stop at this center to take a break to stretch our legs. The facilities are always clean and its a good place... more travel advice
Mr. D'z is one of those casual, but very unique dinning. If you enjoy 50's decore and the lure of good old Route 66,... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Kingman Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kingman ~Route 66"
- "Basaic Kingman Page"
- "Historic Railroad and Route 66 Town"
- "There's a Very Big Pile of Rocks southeast of Town"
- "Transportation Center"
- "Kingman, Arizona"
- "mafootje's new Kingman Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kingman
- Hotels in Kingman
- Transportation in Kingman
- Restaurants in Kingman
- Warnings and Dangers in Kingman
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kingman
- 25 Reviews
- 109 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Kingman?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kingman
Photos in KingmanSee All Photos (109)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 287 reviews, 1078 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 105 reviews, 346 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 59 reviews, 254 photos