"Flagstaff - Route 66" Top 5 Page for this destination Flagstaff by Yaqui

Flagstaff Travel Guide: 396 reviews and 769 photos

Pioneers live on, as well as Route 66

I don’t remember much of Flagstaff other then passing her by during my younger years. So, when we had the opportunity to stop on the way back from Sedona, we did it. I did not know how Flagstaff had gotten its name, but this marker by the commerce center on Route 66 says it all. The marker reads” Named for a pine tree stripped of its branches by a party of immigrants and used as a flagpole for a patriotic celebration on July 4, 1875. Nearby Antelope or Old Town Spring provided water and lead to the establishment a railroad construction camp when the Atlantic & Pacific pushed west in 1882.” Arizona Development Board, 1961. It was said this “flag staff” was left as a marker for those who followed the west and eventually because of all the wonderful resources of water, grass, and wood, sheep ranches moved in. Then as the railroad was pushing forward, the wood was a wonderful resource for the railroad ties. As the rail crews logged wood and graded, the little camp named Flagstaff grew immediately. Although, many followed the construction of the railroad westward, many stayed here to make a new life.

Arizona's Historical Marker

I had not research on where to explore, so we winged it. When saw signs for Riordan Mansion State Historic Park we followed them and enjoyed our tour there. So I said lets just head this way since it stated on some signs being Route 66. So, to our delight we came upon a delightful beautiful historical town of Flagstaff. I loved it!!! So much more to see in the downtown area and we are making plans to revisit it again. We just loved the old buildings and my sons enjoyed the relaxing lunch at Charly’s.

Lots to see and do here because of the wonderful proximity, especially if you love the outdoors. Just dress accordingly because of the higher elevation. It does get hot here, so bring lots of water and during winter it does snow. Make sure you check on driving conditions too. Be always safe!

Wupatki National Monument~

I passed thru here while moving my sister and visited again in Sept to explore the whole area since I didn't get to in July. What a great time because we enjoyed the beautiful weather, people, and all the neat things in the area to see and do.

• Pros:Beautiful historical town still lives along Route 66
  • Cons:Traffic is a drag, but it can be bad in most cities anymore
  • In a nutshell:If you love being part of history, this is a wonderful place to experience it!
  • Last visit to Flagstaff: Sep 2013
  • Intro Updated Oct 27, 2013

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Another interesting page. I think I would enjoy it here too!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2013 at 7:32 PM

you have the best Flagstaff pages ---- so well written :)

Feb 21, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Thank you very much Norman. I love visiting Flagstaff, it is my kind of town.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Nice page, Dee!! Never been to Flagstaff but after reading your page, I'd really love to visit there. So much to see and do with lots of history. I really like old movie theaters too! Too bad you couldn't have gone inside.

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:07 PM

There is so much more to see here, but we always enjoy what we find. Thank you for visiting!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2012 at 7:39 AM

What an impressive meteor crater! Never seen something like that! Sunset Crater National Monument also looks very unusual for me. Though Route 66 brings memory about a short distance that I was fortunate to drive along this summer.

Dec 16, 2012 at 8:42 PM

It was a very big part of my life growin up. The crater is so impressive and awe inspiring. Thank you for visiting my Flagstaff page!

• kris-t's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Great page! Seems like an other interesting place to visit.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2011 at 2:41 PM

A nice page Dee. The railway played a huge role in the development of the West. Nice to see they preserve the memory.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2011 at 3:30 AM

Very thorough page on Flagstaff. we always stay here when visiting the Grand Canyon as they usually have economical motels.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2010 at 11:10 AM

nice interesting page as usual. fascinating history of the name of the town. love the noah ark mural. hard to believe route 66 is still with us. we were in sedona and phoenix, sorry we didn't get here.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Very detailed and interesting! Thanks a lot for your narration and pictures, Dee! ><><><

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Wonderful Flagstaff travel page. Flagstaff certainly looks interesting to visit and explore especially the Heritage Square, Downtown Murals, Nativity Church and of course the historic mansion. Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

Yaqui Visits Here Frequently!

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Badges & Stats in Flagstaff

Have you been to Flagstaff?

Latest Activity in Flagstaff