"Flagstaff - Route 66" Top 5 Page for this destination Flagstaff by Yaqui
Flagstaff Travel Guide: 397 reviews and 769 photos
I don’t remember much of Flagstaff other then passing her by during my younger years. So, when we had the opportunity to stop on the way back from Sedona, we did it. I did not know how Flagstaff had gotten its name, but this marker by the commerce center on Route 66 says it all. The marker reads” Named for a pine tree stripped of its branches by a party of immigrants and used as a flagpole for a patriotic celebration on July 4, 1875. Nearby Antelope or Old Town Spring provided water and lead to the establishment a railroad construction camp when the Atlantic & Pacific pushed west in 1882.” Arizona Development Board, 1961. It was said this “flag staff” was left as a marker for those who followed the west and eventually because of all the wonderful resources of water, grass, and wood, sheep ranches moved in. Then as the railroad was pushing forward, the wood was a wonderful resource for the railroad ties. As the rail crews logged wood and graded, the little camp named Flagstaff grew immediately. Although, many followed the construction of the railroad westward, many stayed here to make a new life.
I had not research on where to explore, so we winged it. When saw signs for Riordan Mansion State Historic Park we followed them and enjoyed our tour there. So I said lets just head this way since it stated on some signs being Route 66. So, to our delight we came upon a delightful beautiful historical town of Flagstaff. I loved it!!! So much more to see in the downtown area and we are making plans to revisit it again. We just loved the old buildings and my sons enjoyed the relaxing lunch at Charly’s.
Lots to see and do here because of the wonderful proximity, especially if you love the outdoors. Just dress accordingly because of the higher elevation. It does get hot here, so bring lots of water and during winter it does snow. Make sure you check on driving conditions too. Be always safe!
I passed thru here while moving my sister and visited again in Sept to explore the whole area since I didn't get to in July. What a great time because we enjoyed the beautiful weather, people, and all the neat things in the area to see and do.
- Pros:Beautiful historical town still lives along Route 66
- Cons:Traffic is a drag, but it can be bad in most cities anymore
- In a nutshell:If you love being part of history, this is a wonderful place to experience it!
We had the pleasure of seeing this beautiful sight. Although, the Arizona desert has many wonderful types of desert... more travel advice
The first pueblo is the Wukoki Pueblo and the trail is an easy .5 mile (.8km) walk to pueblos. You can walk inside most... more travel advice
- See All Excellent Resort & Beautiful Views~
- Flagstaff Souvenirs
- See All Homeless or Publically intoxicated
Yaqui's Related Pages
Flagstaff Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Flagstaff - Route 66"
- "Flagstaff--Ancient Ruins, Craters & Painted Desert"
- "See Historic Flagstaff in Northern Arizona"
- "Town of Surrounding Sites"
- "Upscale University Town Nearest Grand Canyon"
- "I love Flagstaff"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Flagstaff
- Hotels in Flagstaff
- Transportation in Flagstaff
- Nightlife in Flagstaff
- Restaurants in Flagstaff
- Shopping in Flagstaff
- Warnings and Dangers in Flagstaff
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Flagstaff
- 29 Reviews
- 120 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 28 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (200)
Have you been to Flagstaff?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Flagstaff
Photos in FlagstaffSee All Photos (120)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 290 reviews, 1093 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 95 reviews, 345 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 308 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos