"Cottonwood- Still has charm & Route 66" Cottonwood by Yaqui
Cottonwood Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 43 photos
Cottonwood started out as Camp Verde in 1874. As settlers moved in it derived its name from huge cottonwood trees that grew along the Verde River. It was not a pleasant place to settle for many years due to infestation mosquitoes that carried Malaria and dysentery. Medicine was too expensive and few for many settlers to have access to it. Yet, around 1879 families started moving despite the hardship and it still thrives.
Cottonwood survived the woolliest of times since the law did not rule here. The lure of that attracted many and not to mention the bootleggers who prospered here during the roaring twenties until the town’s demise. A fire almost devastated the town by almost claiming most of the buildings. Yet, these frisky settlers rebuilt it and now stand as a picturesque quaint town with many wonderful shops, restaurants, and many historical landmarks to visit.
Tuzigoot is Apache for crooked water. They were a prehistoric people called the Sinagua who built these pueblos and... more travel advice
This was a neat find while we strolled down the street. This building was once a jail built in 1929. It probably housed... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Cottonwood Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cottonwood- Still has charm & Route 66"
- "Basaic Cottonwood Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cottonwood
- Hotels in Cottonwood
- Nightlife in Cottonwood
- Restaurants in Cottonwood
- Shopping in Cottonwood
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cottonwood
- 7 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Cottonwood?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cottonwood
Photos in CottonwoodSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 287 reviews, 1078 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 105 reviews, 346 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 59 reviews, 254 photos