"Casa Grande National Monument~ "Great House"" Casa Grande National Monument by Yaqui
Casa Grande National Monument Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 87 photos
After a long battle with the desert, this ancient building still commands respect. Four stories high and 60 feet long, it is the largest known structure from Hohokam times. Early Spanish explorers called it Casa Grande "Great House", and to them it was a mystery. Archeologist Emil Haury called the Hohokam's the "First Maters of the American Desert." Their origins lay with the Archaic hunter-gathers who lived in Arizona for several thousand years, but Hohokam drew also from Mesoamerican civilization. By 300 CE(Common Era), a distinct Hohokam culture was in place along the Gila and Salt rivers and their tributaries. Like other southwestern farming people, they lived in permanent settlements, made pottery,and grew crops from diverted water from the river. Sadly, by the time Father Eusebio Kino arrived around 1694 this once flourishing village was abandoned. The local Pima Tribe called their ancestors "ho-ho-KAHM," meaning "all gone" or "all used up."
Casa Grande Ruins are the Classical period component of a much larger settlement that existed for centuries. People shifted locations over time as the site grew and expanded. The settlement originated during the Late Pioneer and Colonial periods about one mile east of the Great House. Sedentary period material is found throughout the monument. Reorganization of the community occurred during the Classic period and the settlement location shifted to Casa Grande Ruins. The arrangement of the architectural features and space was apparent beginning with the earliest villages. The Classic period represent a massive pulbic works era where hundreds of people worked and contributed towards the overall community interest.
Casa Grande Ruins National Monument was the first cultural and prehistoric site to be protected by the United States government. It was set aside in 1892 by President Benjamin Harrison.
- In a nutshell:~Spectacular!~
Part of the plaque that explains the construction reads: While most buildings had floor and roof supports made from... more travel advice
I live in the moutains, but lived in the desert too. As cute as some folks think they are, you do not want to get bit by... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Casa Grande National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Casa Grande National Monument~ "Great House""
- "Basaic Casa Grande National Monument Page"
- "Jumping Around Casa Grande National Monument!"
- "The Big House"
- "600 year old ruins"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Casa Grande National Monument
- Shopping in Casa Grande National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Casa Grande National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Casa Grande National Monument
- 10 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Casa Grande National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Casa Grande National Monument
- Posted in Travel Las Vegas Forum "Re: Safety (Danger)"
- Commented on one of Yaqui's Casa Grande National Monument travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bats~Sign Posted"
- updated a Casa Grande National Monument Travel Page "Casa Grande National Monument~ "Great House""
- Wrote a Review Casa Grande Construction in Casa Grande National Monument Favorites
Photos in Casa Grande National MonumentSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 287 reviews, 1078 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 105 reviews, 346 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 59 reviews, 254 photos