"Cameron" Cameron by Yaqui
Cameron Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 25 photos
My hubby decided he wanted to stop here to rest some because he saw the huge billboard signs, saw the name historic, and said to himself he cannot go wrong here well knowing how his other half is….smiles. Right away it stands out because every building is built with red slate stone. Many of buildings were built around the middle 1900’s and were combined into the structure today. This is a huge store with all kinds of souvenirs to choose from. There is a gallery, gas station, post office, restaurant and a hotel that has some pretty awesome view of the gorge just on the other side of this trading post. Right next to it is a 1911 swayback bridge constructed to give access over the gorge. Now a modern bridge runs right along side of it.
Brothers, Hubert and C.D. Richardson soon established the Cameron Trading Post. Horse drawn wagons full of bartered goods made by local Dine artist would sometime take days to get this establishment, so this became a place that welcome them not just as quest but friends. The brothers earned the honor of the Dines trust since they learned the customs and language. Over the years it has become a popular place to stop, rest, eat, or find those unique souvenirs.
- Pros:Has shopping, gas, restaurant, market, post office and hotel!
- Cons:It is either hot or cold here!
- In a nutshell:More than just a trading post!
There are so many wonderful parts to this trading post. Although, the gift shop is wonderful, you must not forget to... more travel advice
The marker reads: Named for one of Arizona’s first U.S. senator. A pioneered in development of trails and copper mines... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Cameron Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cameron - the tiny canyon"
- "tc25's new Cameron Page"
- "In the Painted Desert"
- "Cameron, AZ on the Navajo Nation"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cameron
- 5 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (207)
Have you been to Cameron?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cameron
Photos in CameronSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 300 reviews, 1153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 99 reviews, 380 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 111 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 83 reviews, 321 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos